A Miniature Sheet consisting of 4 nos of commemorative postage stamps on 2014 FIFA World CupTM :
Issued by India
Issued on Jun 12, 2014
Issued for : To mark the occasion, India Post is releasing a set of four stamps and a miniature sheet depicting action on the field and the mascot Fuelco on the day of the opening ceremony of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. The stamps are an apt tribute to the football lovers in India and the world.
Stamp/FDC : Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Miniature Sheet, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 p (2), 2500 p (2)
Stamps Printed : 0.9 million each
Miniature Sheet : 0.4 million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) is organizing the 20th FIFA World Cup from 12th June, 2014 at Brazil. The month long football battle, an ultimate test of endurance, zeal and mettle, is an eagerly awaited championship every four years.
- The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the governing body of football, was founded in May, 1904 in Paris with seven original members: France, Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain (represented by Madrid FC), Sweden and Switzerland. This association is governed by the Swiss law and based in Zurich. It has 209 member associations and its goal, enshrined in its Statutes, is the constant improvement of football. FIFA employs some 310 people from over 35 nations and is composed of a Congress (legislative body), Executive Committee (executive body), General Secretariat (administrative body) and committees (assisting the Executive Committee).
- This association is responsible for holding the World Cup every four years. Ever since the first competition in Uruguay in 1930, FIFA’s flagship has constantly grown in popularity and prestige. The original idea of bringing the world’s strongest national football teams together to compete for the title of World Champions is credited to Jules Rimet. World Cup was organised three times in the 1930s in Uruguay, Italy and France, before the Second World War put a 12-year stop to the competition. When it resumed in 1950, the FIFA World Cup was hosted by Brazil. Since then the tournament has been hosted by 15 countries across all the continents.
- The 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil is one of the most awaited sporting events. Remaining true to its mission ‘Develop the game, touch the world, build a better future’ the 2014 FIFA World Cup, Brazil has taken up the task to communicate the importance of the environment and ecology. Its mascot Fuleco can play a key role in creating environmental awareness. The term is a fusion of two words ‘fotebal’ and ‘ecologia’.
- This year 32 teams had been divided into eight groups (A-H) with each group comprising of 4 teams. The matches will be played from 12th June, 2014 to 13th July, 2014. The competition will start with the Group Matches followed by the Round of 16, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and the Finals on 13th July, 2014.
- Text : Based on the information from the FIFA website.