A commemorative postage stamp on the 50th Anniversary of the 60 Parachute Field Ambulance :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 10, 1992
Design Credits :
Stamps : 60 Para Field Ambulance
First Day Cover : 60 Para Field Ambulance
Cancellation : Shankha Samant
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 100 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported Un W/M gravure coated gummed Stamp Paper
Number Printed : 10,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed : India Security Press
- 60 Para Field Ambulance was raised as 60 Indian Field Ambulance on 10th August 1942 in Secunderabad and saw action in Burma as a part of 2 Indian Air Borne Division. The performance of the Unit in these operations led to its selection for para duties. It was converted to Para Field Ambulance in 1945. In August 1946 a detachment ADS participated in Operation-HATYA, as a first Indian Air Borne task, to help flood victims in Hatya, an island in the Bay of Bengal. SIXTY also served with distinction during the Kashmir operations of 1948-49, where it raised and maintained the famous ‘CARIAPPA HOSPITAL’.
- SIXTY became part of 50 (I) Para Brigade in 1950. It was sent to Korea to join the United Nations Force in November 1950 as a part of the Commonwealth Division. SIXTY took part in a difficult Air Borne operation, Tomhawak with 187 RCT of United States Army at Munsani in Korea. Two Maha Vir Chakras, six Vir Chakras, One Bar to Vir Chakra and 25 Mention-in-Despatches were bestowed upon the Unit in Korea. Lt. Col. A. G. Rangaraj MVC who commanded the Unit in Korea is also the First Indian Paratrooper.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad presented the Presidential Trophy to SIXTY on 10 March 1955 in recognition of noble work done in Korean Campaign.
- In 1961 the SIXTY took part in Operation VIJAY in Goa and in the Indo-Pak conflict of 1965.
- SIXTY actively participated in Operation CACTUS LILY in 1971 where Surgical Team and Advance Dressing Station were part of 2 PARA battalion Group in the Air Borne operation in Tangail, Bangladesh.
- SIXTY took part in the successful Operation CACTUS in the Republic of Maldives as part of 50 (I) Para Brigade in November 1988.