A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the High Court of Judicature at Allahabad :
Issued on Nov 25, 1966
Issued for : On the occasion of the Centenary of the Allahabad High Court on the 25th November, 1966, the P & T Department feels privileged to bring out a special postage stamp.
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Plum
Denomination : 15 Paisa
Overall Size : 4.06 X 2.28 cms.
Printing Size : 3.80 X 2.00 cms.
Perforation : 14 x 14½
Watermark : Printed on unwater–marked paper
Number Printed : 10,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 50
Printing Process : Photogravure
Designed and Printed at : India Security Press
- The High Court of Judicature at Allahabad was constituted by the Letters Patent issued on 17th March, 1866. It is the fourth oldest High Court and the biggest in India.
- Originally the High Court, then known as the High Court for the North-Western Provinces sat at Agra from 1866 to 1868. In 1869 it moved to Allahabad in a building on the Sarojini Naidu Marg, and then to the present building on the Hastings Road. The foundation of the present building was laid on 18th March, 1911 and opened by the then Viceroy & Governor General of India on 27th November, 1916. With the increase in the number of judges, new wings have been added and a separate Advocate’s Block has been constructed. The two Courts, the Oudh Chief Court and the Allahabad High Court were amalgamated on 26th of July, 1948. The Court made a modest beginning in 1866 with five Judges. The total number of Judges is now 38.
- The first Indian Judge elevated to the Bench of this Court was Mr. Justice Mahmood and the first Indian Chief Justice was Sir Shah Mohammad Sulaiman. The Court has had a glorious past with a galaxy of eminent Judges such as Morgan, Stanley, Mahmood, Edge, Henry Richards, Lindsay, Sulaiman, P. C. Banerji, Lal Gopal Mukerji and many others. The Bar of this Court occupies a place of pride. The names of eminent lawyers like Pt. Ayodhya Nath, Munshi Hanuman Prasad, Sir Sundar Lal, Pt. Moti Lal Nehru and Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru are enshrined in the annals of the Court. The first Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, was a member of the Allahabad High Court Bar. Pt. Moti Lal Nehru, Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya, Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru and Rajarshi P. D. Tandon played active part not only in the struggle for freedom but also in the social and educational uplift of the country. Some of the members of the Bar such as Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru, Pt. Jagat Narain Mulla and Dr. Kailas Nath Katju have held high and exalted offices in the Central and State Governments, and Shri Gopal Swarup Pathak was then present Union Minister for Law during the issuance of this stamp.