A commemorative postage stamp on the Golden Jubilee of the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 4, 2012
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to commemorate fifty years of service to the nation by the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune by issuing a Postage Stamp.
Stamp / FDC / Brochure : Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.32 Million (0.02 million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune is a premier tri-services medical institution set up by the Ministry of Defence for capacity building of medical and nursing manpower of the Armed Forces. This unique institution imparts medical education and training to undergraduate and postgraduate medical, nursing and paramedical cadets, officers and personnel of the Indian Armed Forces and friendly countries so as to cater to the health care needs of the Armed Forces personnel and their families.
- The College, started on 1st May 1948, by an Act of Parliament, was initially only for postgraduate studies. The Undergraduate Wing of the College was subsequently established in 1962 and celebrates its Golden Jubilee on 4th August, 2012. The infrastructure and facilities at the College have increased over the years. In addition to the Postgraduate and Graduate Wing, the institution also has a Paramedical Wing and a College of Nursing now. The College is supported by four affiliated hospitals, which are Command Hospital, Southern Command; Military Hospital, Cardio Thoracic Centre; Military Hospital, Kirkee and Artificial Limb Centre. All these hospitals are multi-speciality tertiary care institutions with specialized core competencies.
- The College campus is spread over 181 acres with a mixture of ultramodern and heritage buildings, set amidst parks, play fields and tree lined cobbled pathways. The college provides 100% accommodation for students and faculty. Two auditoriums with a seating capacity of 1000 and 350 each are utilized for seminars, lectures and recreational activities. The Ashok Chakra Library of the college has a vast collection of books and subscribes to national and international journals. It also has a fully functional e-library section with forty computers.
- The annual intake for MBBS is through an All India Open Entrance Examination. Ten seats of the MBBS programme are also reserved for foreign government nominees of the Ministry of External Affairs. Postgraduate training is currently being imparted to over three hundred and fifty Medical and Dental officers registered for thirty two different specialities. AFMC has remained contemporary and forward looking in its approach to medical learning and education and has incorporated many of the newer methodologies of content delivery in its academic schedule.
- The College is also actively involved in research in the medical field. Funds are allotted by the Defence Research and Development Organization every year for collaborative research projects with various national and international organizations. The level of involvement of the undergraduate students in basic medical research is commendable. A large number of books, training manuals and research papers have been published by the faculty of this college.
- The AFMC is committed to overall development of students. The students are encouraged to not only achieve academic excellence but also to explore and refine their capabilities and talent by participating in extracurricular activities. AFMC students regularly excel in various inter-collegiate and inter-university cultural and sports competitions.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.