A commemorative postage stamp on the 60th Anniversary of the Gujarati Weekly Magazine, Chitralekha :
Issued on Apr 20, 2011
Issued for : India Post commemorates 60 Years of Chitralekha‘s eventful journey.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printers : S. P. P. Hyderabad
- Chitralekha is a Gujarati news-cum-features weekly. Shri Vaju Kotak himself a journalist and writer ignited by the passion for his mother tongue Gujarati founded this weekly during 1950. Overcoming all the initial hardships, the weekly has completed 60 years of its existence on 22 April 2010. The magazine occupies a place of eminence and trust in every Gujarati family in India and across the world, respected for its editorial content and credibility.
- At a time when regional publications are facing competition from each other and from English publications, Chitralekha has succeeded in retaining the place it carved out for itself in the past 60 years.
- The magazine has given a good account of itself in the field of regional journalism, serialized novel writing, regular humour column and so on.
- Due to its pre-eminence, Chitralekha plays a larger role in dissemination of news and information to the remotest and even to inaccessible parts of the country, thereby serving a larger social cause. It also plays a pivotal role in empowering people in semi-urban and rural areas by helping create employment opportunities in these areas.
- Text : Based on materials provided by the proponent.