A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the Connemara Public Library, Madras :
Issued on Dec 5, 1998
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to bring out a commemorative stamp on this august institution.
Stamp Design : ISP, Nashik
FDC & Cancellation : Based on material supplied by the sponsors.
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Two Colour
Denomination : 300 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported un w/m Adhesive Gravure Coated Stamp Paper in sheets 50.8 x 53.5 cms.
Stamps Printed : 0.7 Million
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- The Connemara Public Library, Chennai, one of the five National Libraries of the country was opened in 1896. The library is named after Lord Connemara, the Governor of Madras, who laid the foundation stone for the building in 1890 and was the moving spirit behind starting it.
- The Madras Literary Society Library was also functioning in this building until it was shifted to its present location in Nungambakkam, Chennai in 1905. The Madras University library occupied the space vacated by Madras Literary Society Library and functioned there until 1928 when it moved into the new buildings of the University at Chepauk. An additional ‘T’ shaped three storeyed new building was added to the Connemara Public Library in 1973.
- The library building is in the Anglo–Italian style of architecture, oblong in shape with a semi-circular end. It is a magnificent hall with a large reading room and beautiful teakwood bookshelves. The roof is truncated semi-circle, with its top having a wooden ceiling. But the two curved sides are made up of coloured glass pieces. Ornamented acanthus leaves and flowers adorn the pillars, windows and bookshelves. The building is one of the finest library buildings in the sub-continent.
- The status of the library was elevated as State Central Library with effect from April 1950 and it attained its National Status in September 1955 under the provision of Delivery of Books & Newspapers (Public Libraries) Act of 1954. From 1955 it became an Information Centre for the UNO, UNESCO and its specialised agencies and organisations. It also serves as a Depository for Asian Development Bank publications from 1992.
- The library has in its fold many old and rare books, which are being preserved with utmost care. People from all walks of life make use of this Library. Stock of volumes at present is about 5 lakhs. About 3800 Periodicals and over 250 Newspapers are also kept for the use of the readers. On an average 2500 readers visit the Library daily [all the data are at the time of issuance of this stamp, i.e. 1998].
- Text : Based on material supplied by the sponsors.