A commemorative postage stamp on the 1st Death Anniversary of Dr. Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy (YSR), 14th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh :
Issued on Sep 2, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on Dr. Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy.
Stamp, FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Yeduguri Sandinti Rajasekhara Reddy (YSR)
Born on Jul 8, 1949 at Pulivendula, Madras State, India
[now in Andhra Pradesh, India]
Died on Sep 2, 2009 at Andhra Pradesh, India
- Yeduguri Sandinti Rajasekhara Reddy was born on 08 July 1949 at Pulivendula, Andhra Pradesh to Y. S. Raja Reddy and Jayamma. He had his early education in Bellary. He studied Medicine at Mahadevappa Rampure Medical College (MRMC), Gulbarga University, Karnataka, and completed his House Surgeonship at S.V. Medical College, Tirupathi, Andhra Pradesh.
- Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy practised medicine for some time from the hospital his father built for him at Pulivendula in his native Kadapa District.
- In 1978 he contested from Pulivendula to State Assembly election on the platform of Reddy Congress Party. Later he joined the Congress Party and from 1980 to 1983 he was a minister holding important portfolios related to Rural Development, Medical Health and Education under T. Anjaiah Cabinet. He was elected to Lok Sabha from Kadapa four times and was elected to Andhra Pradesh State Assembly six times. He was the Leader of the Opposition in the A.P. Assembly for five years. As an M.L.A. he was instrumental in obtaining water from Tungabhadra River for the Pulivendula Branch Canal and fought for projects like Rayalaseema Thermal Power Plant at Muddanur and Proddatur Milk Foods and its ancillary projects.
- In 2003, he undertook a 1400 KM long padayatra, covering the State to understand its ground realities and the living conditions of the people which resulted into land slide victory for the Party by winning a maximum number of seats to the State Assembly. He was elected Chief Minister. As a Chief Minister of the State, he initiated several programmes for the benefit of the common people and the farming community. His main thrust was implementation of Social Welfare Schemes. A majority of his schemes have been aimed at improving the livelihood of the rural masses which also helped in bringing back rural youth to the mainstream. In his first tenure as Chief Minister, the State achieved allround growth. As many as 70 Irrigation projects were implemented. Farmers were given free power supply. Under the Rajiv Arogya Shree scheme, a health insurance and emergency services scheme for rural masses was implemented. Under this scheme the common man was provided medical treatment and surgery up to Rs. 20,000/- free of cost. This entire amount was borne by the Government. His policies were people oriented to bring improvement in their livelihood.
- He guided his party back to power in the election for State Assembly held in 2009. Reddy was sworn in as Chief Minister for the second term. However destiny willed otherwise. The helicopter in which he was travelling on 02 September 2009 crashed tragically cutting short the life of this charismatic leader.
- Text : As per material downloaded from the internet.