A commemorative postage stamp on Govind Rao Pansare :
Issued by India
Issued on Oct 21, 2003
Issued for : The Department of Posts honours the dedication and heroism of Govindrao Pansare by issuing this commemorative postage stamp.
Stamps & FDC : Binoy Varghese
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
Name : Govindrao Pansare
Born on May 9, 1540 at Kumbhalgarh Fort, Rajasthan, India
Died on Jan 19, 1597 at Chavand, Rajasthan, India
- A martyr who laid down his life for his motherland, Govindrao Pansare (1913-1946) played a noteworthy role in the popular movement against autocratic rule in Hyderabad State.
- Hailing from the Badnapur village in the Aurangabad District of Maharashtra, he lost his parents at a tender age and was brought up by his maternal uncle. Though he was a good student and went ahead to acquire a professional diploma, he decided not to work merely for earning a livelihood, but to devote his life and work for the cause of the country. The inspiration for such a decision had come from his experience of working as a volunteer in the Haripur conference of the Indian National Congress. The thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi and Subhash Chandra Bose had also influenced him.
- When his maternal uncle was posted as a Station Master to Dharmabad, Govindrao’s area of activity also shifted to that town. He was an organiser par excellence and took the lead in building up many institutions like Dharmavat Vachanalaya, Sarvonnati Kalamandir, Pavitra Dugdhalaya and association of farmers, porters, traders and women. He sowed the seeds of nationalism in the common man through these institutions. He was also associated with Maharashtra Parishad and State Congress. He was able to enroll 6,000 primary members for the Congress. He also propagated Khadi and converted many local people into Khadi users. A man of courage and principles, he fought injustice of all kinds.
- Govindrao Pansare lodged many complaints to higher authorities against some of the tyrannous and corrupt officers of the former Hyderabad State. They succeeded in having him arrested on charges of making inflammatory speeches against the Government. After release on bail, while he was headed for Dharmabad from Biloli, he was attacked and killed by a group of hostile militants.
- Text : Based on the material received from the sponsor.