Complete set of 2 nos of commemorative postage stamp on India UN Women HeForShe :
Issued by India
Issued on Mar 8, 2016
Issued for : The Department of Posts and United Nations Postal Administration on the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8th March, 2016 are pleased to release a set of two stamps and a miniature sheet on India–UN Women HeForShe.
Design : The stamps have been designed by MirkoIllic and the images on the stamps make the point that girls and women are half of humanity and are exactly equal to the other half. Together, they make a whole world.
Stamp : Shri Mirkolllic and Smt. Nenu Gupta
Miniature Sheet / FDC / Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Se–tenant set of 2 Stamps, Mint condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 2500 & 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.5105 million each
Miniature Sheet : 0.1 million
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Printing Process : Wet Offset
- Created by UN Women, the United Nations entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women, the HeForShe solidarity movement for gender equality provides a systematic approach and targeted platform on which men and boys can engage and become change agents towards the achievement of gender equality. Achieving gender equality in our lifetimes requires an innovative, inclusive approach that both recognizes men and boys as partners for women’s rights, and acknowledges the ways in which they also benefit from this equality. HeForShe invites men and boys to build on the work of the women’s movement as equal partners, crafting and implementing a shared vision of gender equality that will benefit all of humanity.
- Since its launch on 20th September, 2014, at the United Nations by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki–moon and UN Women Global Goodwill Ambassador, Emma Watson, hundreds of thousands of men from around the world including Heads of State and global luminaries, from all walks of life have committed to gender equality. HeForShe has been the subject of more than 2 billion conversations on social media, with off-line activities reaching every corner of the globe.
- The ambitious aim of this movement is to mobilize 1 billion men to accelerate the achievement of gender equality. HeForShe uses innovative online, offline, and mobile phone technology to identify and activate men in every city, community, and village around the world. The HeForShe journey begins online with a simple affirmation that gender equality is not only a women’s issue, but a human rights issue that requires the participation and commitment of men. HeForShe then moves beyond awareness to action, asking men to define what matters to them, and what they will do to make a difference.
- Men play a critical role in supporting and enabling women’s economic empowerment. HeForShe engages male CEOs and other leaders as champions for gender equality within their own organizations, encouraging them to question the status quo and commit to concrete action. On an individual level, HeForShe engages men to examine how their own personal and professional lives can better recognize, reduce, and redistribute care and responsibilities between the market and the state, between the household and the workplace, and between women and men.
- The international community has recognized that women’s participation is vital to achieving and sustaining peace. Women are proven agents of change and should be able to do even more. HeForShe provides an opportunity to rebalance the representation of men and women in the peace process by engaging both sides of the table; empowering female leaders and working with men as advocates for change.
- Where men have prioritized gender equality, great results have followed. HeForShe engages male political leaders as catalysts for change across both public and private spheres, and provides targeted support to male leaders eager to engage in this work.
- Ending gender-based violence requires a comprehensive approach that engages every segment of society. HeForShe provides a platform through which, first and foremost, men and boys can prevent violence by observing and evolving their own attitudes, values and behaviours towards women and girls, ensuring that they do not personally engage in discrimination or violence. In cases where violence has already been perpetrated, men can, through HeForShe, seek support to change their behaviours, breaking the cycle of violence. We can all inspire broader change by proactively intervening where we witness discrimination or violence.
- Text : Based on the material received from proponent.