A Miniature Sheet consisting of 4 nos of commemorative postage stamps on the 75th Anniversary of the Indian Air Force (1932 – 2007) :
Issued on Oct 8, 2007
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to release a set of postage stamps to commemorate the Platinum Jubilee of the Indian Air Force.
This set of four stamps is a tribute to the Indian Air Force and its professional skills which have been honed to match with the best in the world.
Stamp & FDC : Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Miniature Sheet, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500, 500, 500 & 1500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.8 Million each
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Westland Wapiti formed the nucleus of the Indian Air Force in April 1933 with four aircraft. They were used for escort for convoys, reconnaissance in the North West Frontier Province starting, anti bombing and anti-submarine roles. The sole surviving Wapiti aircraft is now maintained in the Air Force Museum at Palam.
- The Airborne Warning and Control System is an aircraft equipped with sophisticated radar, communication and other electronic equipment to detect and track intruding aircraft(s) whilst still deep within enemy territory. With the induction of AWACS the long felt need for the country for an “eye in the sky” to ward off any airborne threat will be achieved to a great extent.
- Induction of IL–78 MK–I Flight Refueller Aircraft is a giant leap in operational capability of the Indian Air Force. This force multiplier inducted in IAF three years ago has increased the offensive potential of our air superiority fighters and deep penetration strike aircraft manifold and enabled them to operate to their full potential.
- Dhruv is the first indigenously designed and developed helicopter in India developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. The Dhruv has been showcased by Sarang Helicopter Display team both internationally and domestically apart from performing operational tasks.
- Text : Based on material provided by Indian Air Force.