A commemorative postage stamp on the 18th International Epilepsy Congress & XIV World Congress on Neurology :
Issued by India
Issued on Oct 21, 1989
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 650 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported un W/M Adh. Gr. Coated Stamp Paper
Number Printed : 15,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed : India Security Press
About 18th International Epilepsy Congress :
- Epilepsy, one of the more common of neurological diseases, is as old as mankind itself. In developing countries it is believed to occur in one out of every hundreds of the general population. It can occur in all age groups and affect both sexes. It is not a mental illness, but is due to episodic, uncontrolled electrical discharges from the brain. The false beliefs and superstitions about epilepsy existing in all societies do not have any scientific basis.
- Just like fever, there are different types and patterns of Epilepsies, which can be treated with appropriate drugs. Epileptic attacks can be brought under control in nearly 75 to 80 percent of all patients with correct choice of drugs and regular treatment for about three to four years.
- The 18th International Epilepsy Congress was held at New Delhi, under the aegis of the Indian Epilepsy Association (formed in 1971). The International Congress is held once in two years among its 130 members. It has been co-sponsored by the International League Against Epilepsy (founded in 1909) and International Bureau for Epilepsy (formed in 1961).
- Text : Epilepsy : Courtesy Dr. M. C. Maheshwari, Secy. Gen. 18th International Epilepsy Congress.
About XIV World Congress on Neurology :
- Neurology is a branch of medicine dealing with diseases of the brain.
- The World Congress on Neurology is held every four years since 1931 when the first Congress was held in Switzerland. The main objectives of the Congress are to disseminate and exchange the latest knowledge in the prevention, diagnosis and treatments of Neurological disease.
- Over 75 National Neurological Associations representing various countries elect the office bearers to form the World Federation of Neurology. The World Federation is a non-political scientific body affiliated with the World Health Organisation.
- The XIV World Congress on Neurology was held in New Delhi from October 22 to 27, 1989, under the auspices of the World Federation of Neurology and Neurology Society of India.
- This was the first time that the World Congress was held in India.
- Text : Neurology : Courtesy Dr. J. S. Chopra, Secy. Gen. XIV World Congress on Neurology.