A commemorative postage stamp on the Birth Anniversary of K.A.P. Viswanatham Pillai :
Issued on Nov 10, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on K. A. P. Viswanatham.
Stamp/FDC & Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : K. A. P. Viswanatham Pillai
Born on Nov 10, 1899 at Trichinopoly [now Tiruchirappalli], Madras Presidency, British India [now Tamil Nadu]
Died on Dec 19, 1994
- Shri K.A.P. Viswanatham was born on 10th November 1899 to Shri Periyanna Pillai and Smt. Subbammal in Thiruchirapalli District of Tamil Nadu. He had no regular schooling, but learnt to write Tamil alphabets at the age of five. Out of his own efforts he learned Tamil literature.
- Shri K. A. P. Viswanatham was a firm believer in Siddha medicines, an ancient medicine system evolved by Siddhas. He himself learned this system from traditional practitioners. He carried out extensive research and wrote several treatises on it.
- He, by his persistent efforts, got the Tamil University created exclusively for the development of Tamil at Thanjavur. He visited Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar, France, Arab countries, Germany and England.
- Shri K. A. P. Viswanatham was a social thinker and worked for the upliftment of downtrodden. Recognising his yeomen service to society and valuable contribution to Tamil literature, he was awarded a Doctorate by two universities and made a member in each of their senates. He passed away on 19 December 1944.
- Text : Based on materials provided by the proponent.