A commemorative postage stamp on Lala Kamlapat Singhania :
Issued on Dec 1, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to honour this visionary Lala Kamlapat Singhania, by issuing a commemorative postage stamp.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Lala Kamlapat Singhania
Born on Nov 7, 1884
Died on May 31, 1937
- Lala Kamlapat Singhania was born on 7th November 1884. Endowed with sharp business acumen and foresight, he founded the JK Organization. In June 1920, learning that one cotton textile mill from United Kingdom with 40,000 spindles and 100 looms was available in Mumbai, he bought it and established the JK Cotton Spinning & Weaving Mills Co. Ltd on the Indian soil, which produced ‘Swadeshi’ quality goods from Indian cotton. Taking a cue from the Swadeshi movement of Mahatma Gandhi, between 1921 and 1934 he established several new factories and businesses which firmly contributed to the growth of Indian Industry and awakened the entrepreneurial zeal among the average Indian. His business ventures included the manufacture of such varied goods as cotton yarn & cloth, ice, oil, hosiery, jute, sugar and iron and steel. These institutions became the foundation of the JK Organization. Lala Kamlapat Singhania grew up in an atmosphere of spiritual discipline and patriotic fervor. He was deeply influenced by the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi, Madan Mohan Malviya, Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, and Motilal Nehru.
- He was instrumental in setting up the Merchants Chamber of Commerce in Uttar Pradesh and laid the foundation stone of the Chamber in Kanpur, of which he was the Founder President in the year 1932.
- Realizing that only education can liberate the mind and empower the young generation, he established the Marwari College in Kanpur to promote higher education in the region.
- Lalaji, as he was affectionately called, had a deep interest in social affairs and affairs connected with the development of the society. He passed away on 31st May 1937.
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.