A commemorative postage stamp on Lalit Kala Academy :
Issued on Dec 31, 2010
Issued for : India Post is happy to release a commemorative postage stamp on ‘Lalit Kala Akademi’.
Picture : The postage stamp depicts the stamp designer’s interpretation of the creative process of visual artists which involves elements of art such as basic shapes & colours and evolution of a thought process into an image from dots of lines, which further transforms into shapes & forms. The world of visual arts is ever expanding and is in the process of continually breaking new frontiers. This is symbolized by the breaking of the frame. The gallery lights and the flight of stairs of Lalit Kala Akademi symbolically depict the support that Lalit Kala Akademi provides to young artists as their first stepping stone to become professional artists.
Stamp & FDC : Sankha Samantha
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru conceived and set up major art and cultural agencies to rejuvenate and formulate the diverse Indian cultural practices and promote them to play a comprehensive role in the making of the nation. The main thrust of these organizations was artistic excellence. Lalit Kala Akademi, the National Academy of Art, New Delhi was one such organisation. It emerged as the principal establishment in the field of visual arts.
- The former Union Minister for Education, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, inaugurated the Akademi on August 5, 1954. In his inaugural speech, he stated that, “the objective of Lalit Kala Akademi is to preserve the glorious traditions of the past and enrich them by the work of our modern artists. It must also seek to improve standards and refine public taste“.
- The Akademi is an autonomous body, which is fully funded by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. It has substantial independence in formulating decisions related to national and international exhibitions, events and providing financial assistance to artists and art organizations through scholarships and grants.
- Lalit Kala Akademi manifests a commitment to the service of arts by establishing, preserving and documenting art of the highest order that reflects the vitality, complexity and unfolding patterns of modern and contemporary art in India. It sustains a library, art collection, archives, conservation laboratory and gives scholarships and brings out publications of pre-eminent intellectual merit.
- Pivotal to the Lalit Kala’s mission is the encouragement of an ever-deeper understanding and enjoyment of modern and contemporary art by the diverse local, national and international audience.
- While providing further opportunities for emerging artists, the Akademi attempts to foster appreciation of arts and engagement of the audience to associate with art and culture. The Akademi strongly focuses on shaping a future India in which the arts play a meaningful role in everyday life. As a cultural body that hovers above the entire Indian subcontinent, it plays a role to inter-link the diverse cultures of India to weave a cultural spread that is magnificent for its colourful threads of creative genius and brilliant designs that delineate fascinating features of Indian life. Perceiving the Indian culture comprehensively with all its artistic impulses, conflicts, contradictions and limitations, the Akademi has been functioning with a panoramic view to involve all genres of creativity in its activities. It has a vision that takes care of the tradition art of India as well helping artists to imbibe many of the contemporary happenings in the international art scene.
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.