A commemorative postage stamp on the 50th Anniversary of the Officers Training Academy (OTA), Madras :
Issued on Mar 7, 2013
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to issue a Postage Stamp to commemorate the Golden Jubilee Year of the Officers Training Academy, Chennai.
Stamp/FDC : Suresh Kumar
Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.41 Million (0.1 million for the Proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
- The Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai was established on 1st January, 1963 as a premier military institution to provide pre-commissioning training to the civilians inducted in the Armed Forces.
- The OTA was initially known as Officers Training School (OTS) and was one of the seven establishments raised to meet the demand for officers at the time of national emergency declared during Chinese aggression. The sudden increase in the demand for officers gave birth to two Officers Training Schools, one each at Pune and Madras (now Chennai). While the school at Pune was closed in 1964, the one in Madras (Chennai) continues to function. On completion of 25 years of its existence, OTS was re-designated as OTA on 1st January, 1988.
- The headquarter building of the Officers Training Academy is popularly known as “White House“. The history of the building can be traced back to the nineteenth century. The neo-classical style building was constructed in 1861 and was used as the headquarters of the Madras Presidency Army. It is here that the institution infuses key leadership elements in young men and women.
- OTA has been entrusted with the task of training officers for Short Service Commission. Since its inception, the OTA has trained more than 23,000 gentlemen cadets and 1,900 lady cadets as officers of the Indian Army. It has also trained around 5,000 emergency commissioned officers. The trainees are, taught basic aspects of military training like Drill, PT, Weapons, Radio Telephony, and Field Engineering alongwith more than thirty subjects which help to mould these young men and women into dynamic and capable officers. The officer cadets are trained to effectively guard national frontiers, quell internal disturbances, assist civil administration during natural calamities, counter low intensity conflicts and participate in peacekeeping missions.
- OTA has completed 50 years of its existence. Its cadets have proved true to its crest of cross swords symbolising the profession of arms over which is super imposed the Dharma Chakra of Ashoka. Grey and red colours of the crest denote resilience and supreme sacrifice. Many alumni of OTA have been recipients of Gallantry Awards like Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Shaurya Chakra and Sena Medal.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.