A commemorative postage stamp on the Indian Parliament House :
Issued by India
Issued on Sep 23, 2007
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a postage stamp commemorating the 53rd Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference.
Stamp & FDC : Bharati Mirchandani
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 1500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.8 Million
Printing Process : Wet–offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association was founded in 1911 as the Empire Parliamentary Association. Evolving with the Commonwealth, the CPA in 1948 adopted its present name, changed its rules to enable all member branches to participate in the association’s management and established a separate Secretariat to manage its affairs. Today’s resurgence of parliamentary democracy is evident in the growth of the CPA. In the last decade, more than 50 new Parliaments and Legislatures joined or rejoined the CPA.
- The Commonwealth is a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multicultural and multi-religious association of sovereign nations spread across all the continents. Despite diversities, the Commonwealth remains a well knit international organization deriving strength from its belief that international cooperation is essential to remove causes of war, promote tolerance, combat injustice and secure development among the people of the world.
- The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association is an Association of Commonwealth Parliamentarians who, irrespective of gender, race, religion or culture are united by community of interest, respect for the rule of law and individual rights and freedoms and by pursuit of the positive ideals of parliamentary democracy. The association’s mission is to promote the advancement of parliamentary democracy by enhancing knowledge and understanding of democratic governance. It seeks to build an informed parliamentary community able to deepen the Commonwealth’s democratic commitment and to further cooperation among its Parliaments and Legislatures.
- The theme of the 53rd CPA Conference is ‘Delivering democracy and sustainable development’. Eminent Parliamentarians from across the Commonwealth will deliberate on the theme’s broader perspective for evolving consensus on issues confronting us today for the benefit of mankind as a whole, as well as for the common benefit of the countries in the Commonwealth.
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.