A commemorative postage stamp on the Birth Anniversary of Satya Sai Baba :
Issued on Nov 23, 2013
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to release a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Sathya Sai Baba.
Picture : Sathya Sai Baba.
Designed by : Sankha Samanta.
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multicolored
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.71 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printers : India Security Press, Nasik
Name : Sathya Narayana Raju
Born on Nov 23, 1926 at Puttaparthi, Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh, India
Died on Apr 24, 2011 at Puttaparthi, Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Sathya Sai Baba or Sathyanarayana Raju was born on 23rd November, 1926, in the remote hamlet of Puttaparthi, now a part of Andhra Pradesh.
- In school, young Sathya was exceptionally brilliant, automatically raising high expectations of a great career. However, on 20th October, 1940 he dropped out of school with a goal to serve the poor.
- Sathya Sai Baba‘s philosophy can be summarised in one word Prema, which means Divine Love. He believed that every single human being can obtain the Divine Power and capability by shedding swaarthaam or selfishness and swaprayojana or self–interest.
- Keeping up to his beliefs, Sathya Sai Baba set up a tertiary–care hospital in Puttaparthi in November, 1991. Over a period of 22 years, the hospital has added several specialities. It treats every single patient absolutely free. Another such hospital was set up in Bangalore in 2001.
- Sathya Sai Baba is also known for execution of six drinking water projects during the period 1995 to 2004, which were highly beneficial for the masses. His contribution to the field of education is notable. He set up Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning in Puttaparthi in 1981 where the teachings are a synthesis of education and the spiritual heritage of this ancient land. The education offered here is completely free and the spirit of service to the society is instilled in the students through various programmes like Grama Seva.
- Sathya Sai Baba kept up the good work till his death on 24th April, 2011.