A commemorative postage stamp on the The Forts of India – Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh), Vellore (Tamil Nadu), Simhagad (Maharashtra) and Jodhpur (Rajasthan) :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 3, 1984
Type : Stamps, Postal Used
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 50, 100, 150 & 200 Paise
Printed at : India Security Press
- Built by titans and lit by the glory of fire, blood and love – the grandest sights in India – The Forts of India, stand as befitting ‘monuments’ to the pride, courage and chivalry of the rulers and people of India who relentlessly strove against invading armies to preserve their freedom and to keep alive their faith and their culture.
- The Gwalior Fort was built by a Rajput Chieftain named Suraj Sen in gratitude to Gwalipa, an ascetic who cured him of leprosy. Between 6th and 12th century AD the Fort changed hands from one dynasty to another, from Gurjar Pratihars of Kannod to Kuttubudin. The Fort remained in the hands of Muslim Kings of Delhi until 1438, when during the invasion of India by Timur, Beersingh Deo, a Tomar Rajput made himself Master of Gwalior. Raja Mansingh, the greatest of the Tomars was a man of culture and refinement. He built the Mansingh Palace and the Gujri Mahal and a School of Music, where India’s greatest musician – Tansen, was a student. After the death of Mansingh in 1517 AD the Fort passed into the hands of Ibrahim Lodi and subsequently to Babar. With the decline of the Mughal Empire, Gwalior passed into the hands of Maratha powers, represented by the Scindias.
- Like most other Forts, the Gwalior Fort is situated atop a hill, some 300 feet above the plains. The hill is 1¾ mile long and the breadth varies from 600 to 2200 feet. The enclosing wall is 30 feet high. The main attractions within the gates are gigantic Jain sculptures carved along the rock face of the Fort, Man Mandir, Gujri Mahal, Sas Bahu Temple and Teli–ka–Mandir. Each of these monuments bear a distinct stamp of individuality and all are noted for the simplicity of style and rugged beauty of strength.
- The Fortress of Vellore is situated about 125 kms. west of Madras. Built in this historical town, the Fort is one of the most perfect specimens of military architecture in the South. The ‘Ethaladurg’ or Land Fort was built by Chinna Banni Nayak a subordinate Chief under Sada Sivaraya and Sri Ranga Maharaj, the Vijaynagar Kings in the third quarter of the 16th century AD. The Sultan of Bijapur seized Vellore by about the middle of the 17th century AD. In 1676 AD the Fort was captured by the Marathas who were in turn ousted by Daud Khan of Delhi in 1708 AD. The Fort was under the charge of Dost Ali, Nawab of Carnatic who gifted it in 1710 AD to his son-in-law, whose son Mohammed Ali kept the Fort as a stronghold for nearly 20 years. In 1760 AD the Fort was occupied by an English garrison, and finally after the fall of Srirangapatnam and the death of Tipu Sultan, the English kept Tipu’s sons and daughters in captivity in Vellore Fort.