A commemorative postage stamp on 175 Years of The Times of India (1838-2013) :
Issued on Nov 13, 2013
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on the Times of India.
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multicoloured
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.41 Million (0.1 million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printers : India Security Press, Nashik
- The Times of India has been a chronicler of story of India, documenting every twist and turn of this great country’s journey from bondage to freedom for the past 175 years, mainstreaming, even in its early days, distant areas of the country, bringing alive the story of the common man.
- What started as the biweekly Bombay Times & Journal of Commerce is now a global institution. The paper has covered all the major events prior to independence. Once the Father of our Nation, Mahatma Gandhi burst on the national scene and transformed the complexion of our drive to freedom, the paper followed his every step. The valiant struggle of Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev in 1931 found its place in the columns of this newspaper with the heroic trio’s trial being reported virtually on a daily basis. Its reporting has time and again justified its motto: “Let truth prevail”.
- On 15th August, 1947, on the birth of a free India, the Times of India celebrated with the nation. The paper is a witness to many seminal experiences in our national history. Along this long journey, there have been times when this paper has experienced and mirrored pure joy – that of Cricket World Cup victories of India in 1983 and 2011, achievements in the field of science, Amartya Sen and Mother Teresa‘s Nobel wins, etc. Be it the news of India or of the important world events the paper has enriched the lives of the people of India by its candid reporting.
- Today, the Times of India is a modern multi–media organization that celebrates economic liberalization, free market and a robust integration with the world order. Other than becoming a global institution, it has also embraced the newest in technology and has a bold footprint in virtually every comer of the country. Its internet edition is India’s most popular news website today, and is available on mobile phones as well. The newspaper, under the flagship of India’s largest media company, Bennett, Coleman & Co Ltd, has made an immense contribution to the life and times of the Indian subcontinent over these 175 years.
- Department of Posts had celebrated the achievements of the paper by issuing a stamp on completion of 150 years of its existence in the year 1988. The Times of India has now completed 175 years by amalgamating the newspaper with cutting-edge digital technology.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.