A commemorative postage stamp on Thillaiaadi Valliammai :
Issued by India
Issued on Dec 31, 2008
Issued for : Department of Posts is proud to issue a postage stamp in the memory of Thillaiyadi Valliammai.
Stamp : India Security Press, Nasik
FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 million
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
Name : Valliamma R. Munuswami Mudaliar
Born on Feb 22, 1898 at Johannesburg, South Africa
Died on Feb 22, 1914
- The story of freedom struggle of our country is full of many a chapter of unsung valour and sacrifices. The turn of events in the early 20th century in South Africa added a new dimension to the Indian freedom struggle. It also started a huge churning process against colonial rules in a large part of the world and which, almost half a century later gave birth to a number of independent nation states, thereby changing the world map for good.
- The story of Thillaiyadi Valliammai is about one tiny indomitable flame of bravery that held against the mighty blows of colonial rule in South Africa.
- Born in Johannesburg on 22.2.1898 to Indian migrants from Tamilnadu, Munusamy and Janaki Ammal, she was deeply influenced by the Civil Disobedience Movement started by Mahatma Gandhi in South Africa and its spectacular effect on the Indian and other communities there.
- On 14th March, 1913 a controversial judgement was passed rendering all marriages not covered under the Marriages Registration Act of South Africa null and void. This created a widespread apprehension among the migrant Indians. Mahatma Gandhi started an agitation to protest this judgement. Thillaiyadi Valliammai actively canvassed and traveled extensively. On 28th Oct. 1913 Satyagraha was launched by Kasturba in which Thillaiyadi Valliammai took the plunge. On 22nd December, 1913 she was arrested and imprisoned in Maritzburg. The rigours of the prison took a toll on her health and though released on 11th February, 1914, she died on 22nd February, 1914 at the tender age of sixteen.
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.