A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the University of Allahabad :
Issued on Sep 23, 1987
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to issue a commemorative stamp on the University of Allahabad Centenary.
Picture : The stamp depicts the main block of the University of Allahabad.
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 200 Paise
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported unwatermarked adhesive gravure coated stamp paper
Stamp Overall Size : 4.06 X 2.73 cms.
Stamp Print Size : 3.71 X 2.38 cms.
Stamps Printed : 5,00,000 in sheets of 40
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed : India Security Press
- The credit for conceiving a large Central College at Allahabad, eventually to develop into a University, goes to Sir William Muir, the then Governor. The College commenced work in a rental building, “Lowther Castle” on July 1, 1872 with Mr. Augustus Harrison as Principal, for other teachers and about a dozen students on the roll of the Arts Department.
- The present site of the College building plan was designed by an eminent English architect W. Emerson in a modified Saracenic style. The foundation stone of the building was laid on December 9, 1937 by Lord Northbrook, Viceroy and Governor of India.
- The College took twelve years to be completed at a cost of Rs. 9 lacs and its building, apart from teaching accommodation, consisted of the Vizianagaram tower, the hall, and the library built of stone. The building which came to be known as Muir Central College was formally opened on April 8, 1886 by Lord Dufferin. The College was affiliated to Calcutta University. On September 23, 1887 was passed Act XVIII incorporating the University of Allahabad giving birth to the present University.
- Its first convocation was addressed by Honourable Sir Alfred Comyn Lyall on November 15, 1887 thus lending the University the status of a Degree conferring institution. After the passing of the Indian University Act VIII of 1904, the new territorial limits of Allahabad University were specified; it was meant to serve an area of 4,52, 830 Sq. miles and a population of about 9 crores. Soon after, a new building for the University was proposed and on January 17th, 1910 the foundations of the present University Senate Hall, and the adjoining two stone buildings were laid by the then Chancellor Sir John Hewett. The approximate expenditure on these buildings was over Rs. 10 lacs. After recognition in 1922, the University acquired a double role, firstly as contained, unitary, residential University and secondary as an affiliated body, for outlying colleges. The resident part of the University at that time had 846 students on its roll.
- From 1927 the University changed its character and started functioning purely as a teaching and residential institution. In the course of its eventful development, the University has, in the national and international fields, established its worth: QUOT RAMI TOT ARBORES (as many branches so many trees). The extraordinary achievements of the University, and the distinction earned for it by a galaxy of renowned teachers, have shed lustre on virtually all spheres of national life. Equally remarkable are the contributions of its students union. As scholars, teachers scientists, artists, litterateurs, jurists, diplomats, soldiers, sportsmen, administrators, industrialists, politicians and dedicated social workers, the alumni of the University have carried the name and the glorious traditions of their alma mater to the far corners of the country and the world.
- Over these 100 years the University has grown both vertically and horizontally with over 15,000 students and teaching departments on its Campus. It has added many more technical and professional courses bringing into its fold the faculties of Engineering and medicine, the constituent and associated colleges.