Complete Set of 4 nos of commemorative postage stamps on the 19th Commonwealth Games, 2010 :
Issued by India
Issued on Oct 3, 2010
Issued for : India Post has already issued two sets of stamps on themes : One set on the Queen’s Baton Relay and a second set on the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium and Talkatora Stadium. After that India Post celebrated the spirit of the XIX Commonwealth Games, 2010 on the inaugural day of the Games by issuing a set of four stamps on tennis, archery, hockey and athletics.
Designed by : Sankha Samanta
Type : Stamps, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multicolor
Denomination : 500 Paise each
Stamps Printed : 0.4 million each
Printing Process : Wet–offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The XIX Commonwealth Games, 2010 were held in Delhi between 3rd October and 14th October 2010. It was the largest multi–sport event in Delhi after the Asian Games in 1951 and 1982. It was also for the first time that the Commonwealth Games was held in India.
- 85 Commonwealth Nations participated in 260 games in 17 disciplines. These events took place in the upgraded existing stadia and new stadia constructed specially for the games.
- The opening and closing ceremonies of the Games took place at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. It showcased the sprit, talent and rich fiber of Indian culture. The mascot of the game, ‘Shera‘, combined modern and traditional India and embodies the values, majesty, power, charisma, intelligence, grace and elegance of the tiger.
- The official slogan of the Commonwealth Games, 2010 was “Come out and Play“. The logo tagline was an invitation to every person across all divides – Indian and Commonwealth to participate in the Games to the best of their abilities, in the true spirit of the Games.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.