A commemorative postage stamp on the Academic Centenary Year of the Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (KGMC / CSMMU, Lucknow :
Issued on Dec 23, 2011
Issued for : The Department of Posts joins the celebrations of completion of 100 academic years of CSMMU by issuing a postage stamp to commemorate the occasion.
Stamp/FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million (Including 0.1 Million for proponent)
Printing Process : Wet–Offset
Printer : ISP Nasik
- The Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, Lucknow (formerly King George’s Medical College), one among the premier institutions of medical education in the country, completes a century of academic activities in 2011.
- In the early years of the 20th century, the gross inadequacy of medical and healthcare facilities available to the citizens of the United Provinces was strongly felt by the local community and its leaders.
- The aspirations of the local people and their spirited pursuit of the same was finally fructified on 26th December 1905, when the Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone of the proposed medical college during his visit to India. The medical college was named after King George–V. The first batch of 31 students was admitted on 1st October 1911, even before the formal opening, which finally took place on 25th January, 1912.
- The Hospital Wing of the college, named King George’s Hospital, was formally Inaugurated on 10th January 1914 by Lord Hardinge, the then Viceroy. The medical degree of the King George’s Medical College (KGMC) was granted recognition by the general council of medical education and registration of the United Kingdom in the year 1914 itself. Medical professionals of repute like Major W. Selby, a professor of surgery and Major G. A. Sprawson, a professor of medicine ensured that KGMC’s initial developments were on sound foundations.
- Formation of a hospital for women in 1932, Kasturba T B Clinic and Hospital in 1948, a full-fledged dental college in 1949, the Gandhi Memorial Hospital in 1951, and setting up of the new block 51 bed children’s Hospital in 1955 were important landmarks in the development of the Medical College. After 1951, the Hospital wing of the College came to be called Gandhi Memorial & Associated Hospital.
- The Medical College was upgraded into a Medical University in 2002. In the year 2007 the institution was rechristened Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (CSMMU), Lucknow.
- The hospital complex is spread over an area of 88,000 sq. mts. and has about 2500 beds with occupancy of 90% to 100%. Speciality services are available in almost all the branches of medicine. The latest, in the series of advancements is the Centenary Hospital, a state of the art centre for clinical excellence, which became functional in 2011. Only a nominal amount is charged from patients for admission to the hospital for the investigations and medical procedures. The institution has more than 350 faculty members to fulfil the need of teaching, training, research, and patient care. At present, the medical services are supported by 43 departments. CSMMU caters to about 6 to 6.5 lac patients in a year.
- This august institution produces about 250 students of MBBS, 70 students of BDS, 174 of specialization and about 25-30 students of super specialization every year.
- Text : P. N. Ranjit Kumar (Based on the inputs furnished by the proponent).