A commemorative postage stamp on the South Asia Tourism Year – South Asia Invites You :
Issued by Pakistan
Issued on Jan 15, 1975
Issued for : The Pakistan Post Office Department is issuing Rs. 2.25 denomination stamp to commemorate the South Asia Tourism Year on 15th January, 1975.
Design : Stamp is vertical in format. Against a colourful background of blue, indigo, purple, red and orange appears the South Asia Tourism Year motif at the upper portion of the stamp. The variation of colour from a cool one (blue) to warm (red) represents not only the various climates but also the rich cultural variety of the South Asia. The petals of Sun–Flower of the motif is dark yellow while the figure ’75’ indicating the year is dark mauve colour. The caption ‘South Asia Tourism Year’ is placed at the top in black while the slogan ‘South Asia Invites You’ appears in green colour below the motif. ‘Pakistan’ in Urdu and English together appear in the lower right corner while denomination ‘Rs. 2.25’ with the word ‘postage’ appear in the lower left corner also in black.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Denomination : Rs. 2.25
Colour : Yellow, Red, Blue and Black
Size of Stamp : 35.20 x 50.80 m.m.
Size of Print : 32.20 x 47.80 m.m.
Perforation gauge : 13 x 13 (C)
Quantity printed : 5,00,000
Number of stamps in each sheet : 50 (fifty)
Process of printing : Litho Offset
Printers : The Pakistan Security Printing Corporation Ltd., Karachi
- At the XXIII General Assembly Session of the International Union of Officials Travelling Organisation (IUOTO) held at Caracas in October, 1973, the South Asia Regional Commission (SARTC) sponsored a resolution to celebrate South Asia Tourism Year 1975.
- The General Assembly of IUOTO acknowledging importance of celebrating the South Asia Tourism Year, (SATY) adopted the resolution and decided as follows:–
(1) To give all material support and assistance necessary for the celebration of South Asia Tourism Year.
(2) To take necessary steps to obtain the participation of as many as possible of national and international organisations, public and private interested in tourism development.
(3) To urge the Chairman of Regional Commission to make all out efforts within their own areas to ensure the success of South Asia Tourism Year.
- Previously the United Nations General Assembly had designated 1967 as International Tourism Year and IUOTO had nominated 1969 as African Tourism Year and 1972 as Tourism Year of the Americas.
- The primary object of celebrating the tourism year is to create understanding, good-will and friendship through direct contact amongst the nations of the world. It is only through tolerance and respect of the points of view of others that an era of peaceful co-existence can be established in the world. The tourism thus helps in broadening ones out-look and perspective and affords opportunity to understand and appreciate problems that confront other nations. The celebration of tourism year is thus a crusade against ignorance and is a means of sympathetic understanding of human problems.
- The main object of celebrating South Asia Tourism Year is to focus international attention on this Region and to create an interest to visit the South Asia. With this end in view it has been recommended to relax visa and custom formalities in member countries for the duration of the South Asia Tourism Year.
- Pakistan as founder member of 109 Nations, International Union of Travelling Officials Organisation (IUOTO) as well as a member of its Regional Commission for South Asia (SARTC) comprising 8 countries viz. India, Nepal, Bangla Desh, Iran, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and outer Mongolia has been participating in the celebration of South Asia Tourism Year-75. The slogan being ‘South Asia Invites You’.
- Issued by The Director General, Pakistan Post Office, Karachi.