A commemorative postage stamp on the 9th Asian Games, New Delhi (4th Issue) :
Issued on Oct 30, 1982
Issued for : Indian Posts and Telegraphs Department is privileged to issue another stamp on IX Asian Games, based on this ancient sport.
Design : The stamp depicts a painting on a wrestling bout. The scene is laid against a golden ground with flowering trees and plants. The Persian influence is predominant on the style of the painting. The work is executed in the Mughal style of the early 17th century and is probably a copy of the Persian original. This painting, done by Janaki, is available in the National Museum, New Delhi.
Designed by : The stamp has been designed by A. Ramachandran on the basis of the transparency obtained through the courtesy of National Museum, New Delhi.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 100 Paise
Overall size : 4.8 X 3.6 cms.
Printing size : 4.35 X 3.15 cms.
Perforation : 14 x 14
Paper : Unwatermarked adhesive stamp paper
Number printed : 30,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 20
Printing process : Photogravure
Printed at : India Security Press
- The IX Asiad was expected to be a fantastic event. The construction of new sports facilities and the modernisation of the existing ones enriched India’s capital architecturally. There was a chance to display country’s cultural attainments and the headway it has made in the field of physical education and sports.
- Wrestling is a sport loved by our countrymen since time immemorial. It is one sport, which did not require expensive equipment, arena or other facilities. Today, wrestling is a much worldwide acclaimed sport. It requires proper wrestling ring, referees, judges and half a dozen rules and regulations to the extent that the wrestlers should be evenly matched weight-wise. There are two styles found in the free styles wrestling:-
- 1. The Indian style – in which one opponent has to put the other flat on his back.
- 2. The Greco Roman style – in this the winning wrestler has to keep the loser on his back to the count of 10 before he is declared the winner.
- Wrestling was held at the Ambedkar Stadium, New Delhi.