Aacharya Jaimalji Maharaj
A commemorative postage stamp on the 300th Birth Anniversary of the Jain Saint, Yug Pradhan Aacharya Sri Jaymal Ji :
Issued by India
Issued on Sep 25, 2011
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Jaimalji Maharaj.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.6 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : I.S.P. Nashik
Name : Bhishm Pratigya Dhari, Charcha Chakrwarti, Yug Pradhan Aacharya Sri Jaymal Ji
Born on 1708 at Lambiya, Merta, Rajasthan, India
Died on 1796
- Jaimalji (1708-1796 AD) was born to Smt. Mahima Devi and Shri Mohandas Samdadiya Mehta in the then Lambiya Province of Merta Pargana in Rajasthan. He was an intelligent, gentle and compassionate child. The young Jaimal initially assisted his father in family business and got married, but his heart was more inclined towards doing ‘sadhana‘ than in worldly matters.
- His initiation into religion happened because of a chance encounter with Acharya Bhudharji whose discourse kindled in him a desire to renounce the world. Acharya Bhudharji realized the potential of young Jaimal and his likely contribution to society and permitted him to take a vow of celibacy. Jaimal committed himself to the practice of the three jewels, namely Right Faith, Right Knowledge and Right Conduct and adhered to them throughout his life. It is said that he learnt Jain agamas, Vedas, Vedangas, Puranas, Buddhist scriptures and the scriptures of various other religions also.
- Jaimalji was a social reformer also. He worked for the upliftment of women. Through his discourses, he spoke against female infanticide, sati, child marriage and empowerment of women which gradually helped to change the mindset of his followers. He considered all men equal and worked towards eradication of untouchability and slavery.
- He was also gifted with literary qualities and helped spread spiritual and social messages through his poems and other writings which not only recorded the history of his times but also inspired people of all ages to follow a righteous path. Jaimalji’s life and teachings continue to inspire generations of men and women.
- Text : Text based on the material provided by the proponent.