A commemorative postage stamp on the Birth Centenary of Kakaji Maharaj and Pappaji Maharaj :
Issued by India
Issued on Dec 28, 2018
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Kakaji & Pappaji on their birth centenary.
Stamps/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 610300
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
Name : Babubhai (Pappaji)
Born on Sep 1, 1916 at Borsad, Anand district, Gujarat, India
Died on — at —
Name : Dadubhai (Kakaji)
Born on Jun 12, 1918 at Nadiad, Kheda district, Gujarat, India
Died on — at —
- Kakaji and Pappaji are divine due brothers, who dedicated their life to the service of their Master and existed merely as his instrument. They inspired innumerable aspirants, brought about transformation in their life and guided them to liberate themselves from the clutches of vices. Both were supremely realized souls, original thinkers and devout disciples of Yogiji Maharaj, who dedicated all their possessions and their entire life to fulfill their Master’s will.
- Pappaji, elder of the two brothers, was born on 1st September, 1916 at Borsad and named Babubhai. Kakaji Maharaj was born on 12th June, 1918 at Nadiad and was named Dadubhai. Their family roots were from Karamsad, a small town in Gujarat and native place of Sardar Patel. Both brothers studied at Nadiad. At a tender age of nine & seven, the brothers made a vow to bring heaven on this earth, devoid of any discrimination and conflict.
- While the elder brother Babubhai migrated to Mombasa, Kenya to take on formal vocation of a school teacher, the younger Dadubhai studied in Nairobi and Colombo and completed his graduation from London School of Economics. After a brief stint of service, he emerged as a very successful entrepreneur, handling large businesses.
- Right from the childhood, his core belief was in Supremacy of Lord Swaminarayan, as realized through the Divine manifestation of Shastriji Maharaj and Yogiji Maharaj. His master Yogiji Maharaj blessed him in the form of 72 hours of ‘Samadhi’ – Supreme Enlightenment on 3rd Feb, 1952 at Gondal Temple in Saurashtra, Gujarat.
- In April 1952, elder brother Babubhai returned from Mombasa and met Yogiji Maharaj, whom the younger one had hailed as the living embodiment of Lord Swaminarayan. Soon, Babubhai also became the torch bearer in the form of this radiance with unconditional surrender to Yogiji Maharaj relinquishing personal, emotional and any human desires.
- Thereafter, both of them spent their whole life devoted to God. One of the spiritual heirs of Yogiji Maharaj, they were masters of the Akshar Purushottam doctrine. Without blindly following outdated rituals and dogmatic traditions, they remained continuously absorbed with Swaminarayan Mantra and became a living embodiment of the Mantra and its deity – the Supreme Lord; existing merely as an instrument of the God.
- Kakaji & Pappaji facilitated initiation of lady aspirants to sainthood for the first time in Swaminarayan faith. Duo-brothers worked very hard to let women also become part of mainstream Swaminarayan faith and get ultimate redemption. They valiantly faced ostracization from the fellowship for this worthy cause of women’s emancipation and today there are more than 600 sisters working together following the path of Lord Swaminarayan as per Verse 26 of Last Chapter of Vachnamrit.
- Kakaji wrote several articles and books on Spirituality based on his own experiences and explained that spirituality had nothing to do with metaphysical powers and that a true aspirant should disregard them completely. He published works include ‘Lord Swaminarayan and Applied Brahm Gnan’, ‘The Divine Grace’, ‘Panch Yagna’, ‘The Real Essence of Tantra’ and numerous articles in different spiritual magazines like Swaminarayan Prakash, Akshardham, Bhagwad Kripa, Shri Aksharpurushottam Satsang Patrika, which enlightened the society towards a revolutionary spiritual path. Likewise, Pappaji authored spiritual scriptures viz. Anoopam Part 1 to 8; Parabhakti Saurabh, Sanjivni Mantra – 10 commandments; Acharsamhita – Code of conduct in Society etc.
- Kakaji founded Yogi Divine Society, with its mission to awaken divine consciousness by means of Swaroop Ashtanga Yoga which is the synthesis of Akshar Purushottam Yoga, enabling all to attain the supreme understanding, perfection and spiritual realization in this life, here and now. He advocated not blind faith but spirituality based on investigation, analysis and synthesis. His basic tenet was that of ‘Suhradbhav’ – Spiritual Brotherhood and Friendliness. The institutions founded by him are based at Sokhada, Sankarda, Mogri, Mumbai, Delhi in India, Chicago in USA and Paris in France and are doing exemplary work for benefit of the masses without any distinction of caste, creed or color. Pappaji also established spiritual centres at Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Surat, Nadiad, Manavadar, Rajkot, USA and London, England. Both of them considered the entire satsang as a divine family, a concept demonstrated by Lord Swaminarayan during his life. In short, they are the very embodiment of love, friendliness and selfless service.
- Text : Based on information received from the proponent.