M. M. Kuzhiveli
A commemorative postage stamp on Kuzhivelil Mathew, an Indian biblical scholar :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 22, 2019
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to release a Commemorative Postage Stamp on M. M. Kuzhiveli.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 301090
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Kuzhuvelil Varkey Mathew
Born on Nov 2, 1931 at Keezhuvaipur, Kerala, India
Died on Oct 27, 1974
- Mathew M. Kuzhiveli was born on 20 April, 1905 at Pala, in the Kottayam District of Kerala. He completed his primary and secondary education at his native place. Thereafter, he completed the higher secondary education in St. Berchmans College, Changanacherry and St. Xavier’s College Palayamcotta. After graduation, he acquired the L.T. Degree from the Government Training College, Thiruvananthapuram. The initial stint of teacher-ship was in various schools in his native place, Pala. He was the first Principal of Training School, Pala. Thereafter, he shifted his workspace to Thiruvananthapuram. He was appointed as Deputy Superintendent in the erstwhile Travancore University, now University of Kerala. He also worked as Text Book Officer of the State, Member of Text Book Committee formed by Government, Senator of University of Kerala & Convenor of different Committees on Education. He retired from service in the year 1962 as the Director of Publications Department, University of Kerala.
- After shifting his sphere of activities to Thiruvananthapuram, M. M. Kuzhiveli published many periodicals, both in Malayalam and English. Under his editorship and ownership, the magazines like School Master, Balan Magazine, Vijanam (Knowledge), Neethi (Justice), Kuzhiveli Pathrika were published from Thiruvananthapuram. English weekly named “Trivandrum Letters” was also published during that time. Apart from educational books, Kuzhiveli wrote original books and translations during his career.
- Though some books existed in children’s literature earlier in Malayalam, he brought in texts which were suited to different age groups of children based on their psychological growth and educational background. This was a pioneering attempt in the field of education. He published more than 300 books in Children’s literature through his publishing house named “Balan Publications”. Of these, he wrote 70 himself. These books were instrumental in enlightening the young minds with patriotism, respect for teachers, love for parents and above all their character formation. He also familiarized the young minds with other forms of literature like novels, drama, poetry, travelogue, world literature in a simple, narrative and imaginative way.
- Another field in which Kuzhiveli made significant contributions was scientific literature through the publication of Malayalam Encyclopedia. He published the “Vijganam Encyclopedia” in 1974 in eight volumes with more than 10000 pages and more than 2000 pictures. Starting in 1956, he completed this herculean task after 18 years of strenuous efforts. He spent all his earnings and utilized his knowledge for bringing out this Encyclopedia in which the common man evinced interest.
- Mathew M. Kuzhiveli passed away on 27 October, 1974.
- Text : Based on information received from the proponent.