The Daly College
A commemorative postage stamp on the 125th Anniversary of the Daly College, a co-educational residential and day boarding school in Indore :
Issued on Dec 8, 2007
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to release a postage stamp to commemorate 125 glorious years of The Daly College.
Stamp & FDC : Brahm Prakash
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi color
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The history of education in modern India is as full of interesting and inspiring chapters as the history itself. Some of the pioneering educational institutions contributing to the democratic and egalitarian fabric of the society, no less than any other modern educational institution had actually started as exclusive schools for the scions of the princely states of India. Many of these schools came up with the active participation of the British ruling establishment as well as the princely states.
- Story of the Daly College Indore is one such glimpse into the efforts to impart modern education to the Indian royals.
- The Daly College was founded in 1882. However, the story started in 1869 when General Sir Henry Daly was appointed Agent to the Governor General in Central India. Those days, the Indore Residency School which was hitherto running in the building of the East of the Indore Residency Post Office. This in 1867 was to be called the Indore Residency College with Mr. Aberigh-Macay, as the Principal.
- Henry Daly retired in 1881, and it was decided to develop the separate classes for the princes into a full-fledged school and name it “The Daly College” with an independent building. For sometime it was called the Indore Residency Rajkumar College and had a separate identity from the Indore Residency College, even though they had one Principal. However, in 1906, the Principal severed his connection with the Indore Residency College.
- The building was constructed by the Military Works Department. On 14th November, 1885, it was inaugurated by Viceroy Lord Dufferin.
- In 1903, a decision was taken to educate the royal princes of Central India at Mayo College, Ajmer. The decision was reversed in 1905, when Major Hugh Daly became Agent to the Government General in Central India.
- In 1905-1906 plans for the new building were prepared by Colonel Sir Swinton Jacob, RE. In 1912 the new building was formerly opened by Lord Hardinge.
- In 1918 the grounds and buildings of the Daly College were taken by the Government of India as training school for Indian cadets but it was restored in 1919. On 1st February, 1922, the Prince of Wales held a Durbar in the Daly College. In 1922 itself the constitution of the school was altered with a view to associating the princely states more closely with the working of the school. In October, 1924, the Holkar Maharaja gave Rs. 50,000/- to the school to build a science laboratory. It came into being in 1929.
- The first prince to pass the matriculation examination of Indian University was Sardar Madho Rao Kibe of Indore. He was also the first prince from the Daly College to take a university degree (B.A., 1899, M.A., 1904).
- In 1940 the school underwent a major change of policy and was converted in a full-fledged public school open to all irrespective of social status.
- In 1956 Mr. R.N. Zutshi became its first Indian Principal.
- The Daly College aims at turning out educated, well groomed and patriotic citizens of India. The school offers a rich variety of activities and opportunities for many-sided growth and draws students from various parts of the country.
- The Daly College is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, and trains students to appear for the All India Secondary and Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations under the 10+2 scheme.
- The Daly College has produced eminent persons who made a mark in different walks of life.
- Text : Based on material provided by the proponent.