A commemorative postage stamp on the 50th Anniversary of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 8, 2013
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to release a postage stamp on Indian Academy of Pediatrics.
Stamp/FDC : Suresh Kumar
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
- Indian Academy of Pediatrics was established in the year 1963, with amalgamation of two organizations, namely Association of Pediatricians of India and Indian Pediatric Society. It was registered as a society on 3rd December, 1963, and as a trust, on 30th May, 1964. IAP is a pan-India organization and has pan-Indian charter.
- Indian Academy of Pediatrics is committed to the improvement of the health and well-being of all children. IAP now has 26 state branches, 304 local branches, and an international branch at UAE.
- Over the years, IAP has successfully developed several projects and programmes. These include participation in Polio Eradication, Adolescent Care Workshops, Celebration of World Breastfeeding Week, Oral Rehydration Solution week, IAP Neonatal resuscitation programme, etc. Indian Academy of Pediatrics is administered through three offices – Central IAP office in Mumbai, the Office of Indian Pediatrics in New Delhi, and the office of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics in Chennai. An Executive Board, elected through a general election, administers the affairs of IAP in a given year, and is the supreme decision making body, next to the General body of IAP.
- IAP has been represented at international organizations like International Pediatric Association (IPA), Asian Region Asia Pacific Pediatric Association (APSSEAR/APPA), etc. through its eminent members. It has successfully collaborated with the Government of India, State Governments, ICMR, UNICEF, WHO and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, for various programs and projects of National and State level importance.
- IAP has published many journals and books. Its official journal, Indian Pediatrics, was launched in 1964. A quarterly journal, Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics (IJPP), launched in 1993 from Chennai, is committed to practical pediatric problems and updates in management. Academy Today, bi-annual bulletin of IAP, serves the objective of developing bonds between the pediatricians dispersed far and wide in the Indian subcontinent. In 2010, IAP Executive Board facilitated the creation of a National Publication House at Gwalior and an International Publication House at Indore. Indian Academy of Pediatrics has grown in numbers and stature in the last fifty years and continues to be committed to its vision for the future of the children of India.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.