A commemorative postage stamp on the 75th Anniversary of the Patna Medical College (1925-2000) :
Issued on Feb 26, 2000
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to release a commemorative stamp to mark excellent work done by this institution in the field of medical science.
Stamp Design : Pulak Biswas
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 300 Paise
Stamp Overall Size : 2.90 x 3.90 cms.
Stamp Print Size : 2.55 x 3.60 cms.
Perforation : 13.5 x 13.5
Paper : Matt Chromo
Stamps Printed : 0.7 Million in sheets of 40
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printer : Calcutta Security Printers Ltd.
- The Patna Medical College is one of the oldest training centres of physicians and surgeons in eastern India. Its predecessor, the ‘Patna School of Medicine’ was opened on 23rd June 1874 with the intention of imparting medical training to junior surgeons in Bihar, eastern U.P. and other neighbouring areas. In August 1874, the medical school was renamed Temple School of Medicine after the Lt. Governor of Bengal at that time, Sir Richard Temple. The Temple School of Medicine was no doubt a Government medical institution but the philanthropists and social workers of the time also contributed liberally towards its smooth functioning, setting up an example of co-operation and co-ordination of Government and the public for the advancement of medical education.
- With the passage of time it was felt that the certificate holder physicians were not in a position to meet the challenges of the time. The recurrence of malaria, typhoid, abdominal disorders, high perinatal and maternal mortality rate with frequent outbreak of plague and cholera forced the people and the Government to think seriously about a medical training of higher standard for the people of Bihar region. Upgrading the Temple School of Medicine was the obvious course of action, and activities for the setting up of a medical college slowly gained momentum. The medical college was finally opened on 25th July 1925 by Sir Henry Wheeler, Governor of Bihar with just 30 students and Dr. H. R. Dutton I.M.S. as its first Principal.
- Over the years the college grew into an institution of great repute with its alumni making a mark nationally and internationally. Three eminent professors of this college namely, Dr. Dhukhan Ram, Dr. M. A. Hai and Dr. B. Mukhopdhya were conferred the Padmabhushan Award in recognition of their unique contributions in their fields of study. The list of Padma Shree includes Dr. L. S. N. Prasad, Dr. S. P. Ram and Dr. C. P. Thakur. The Alumni’s contribution to defence has also been significant. General Moitra has had the distinction of being the first Indian to become the Director General of Armed Forces Medical Corps in that rank. The Alumni of Patna Medical College has also served as principals in various medical colleges all over the country and held various prestigious national positions of Directors, Professors, founder Professors and Head of the Departments of various institutes.
- One of the earliest radiotherapy unit in India was established in this institution and records show patients coming from Burma, Nepal and Afghanistan to be treated here. This college also has the rare distinction of having started some of the earliest post graduate courses in the country, in the subjects of Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery and Anaesthesia. Its Department of Surgery has been recognised as one of the five national centres for research on carcinoma gall bladder.
- Despite many constraints, Patna Medical College Hospital with 1700 free beds is truly a beacon of light for the poor and indigent population of this part of the country. Its casualty section is still today one of the busiest in the country. With 500 undergraduate, 500 postgraduate students and over 300 teachers, the college continues to be a medical centre of repute in the field of medical science [all the statistics given above are of the time of the issuance of this stamp, i.e. 2000].
- Text : Based on material received from the sponsors.