A commemorative postage stamp on the 100th Anniversary of the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 16, 2005
Issued for : The Department of Posts is proud to issue a commemorative postage stamp to mark the centenary of the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Stamp & FDC : Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation : Alka sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.8 Million
Printer : India Security Press, Nashik
Printing Process : Photogravure
- Established in 1905, the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry is the apex Chamber of North India, actively serving the interests of trade and industry in ten states viz. Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jammu & Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh, Chandigarh, Uttaranchal and the Union Territory of Chandigarh. Since its inception, the Chamber has been a harbinger of change and economic growth as also contributing to the promotion of trade and industry in the region for more than nine decades.
- The Chamber was originally established as the Punjab Chamber of Commerce. With the attainment of independence and in the aftermath of partition, when Delhi became a separate territorial unit with a large population, the Chamber adopted the new name of Punjab and Delhi Chamber of Commerce, in 1952. Over the years, however, as the manufacturing sector gained in importance and more members of the Chamber came to be engaged in industry, the term ‘Industry’ was added to its name, in 1964, in order to reflect the true character of the Chamber. Finally, with the expansion of its servicing jurisdiction, the Chamber adopted the name “PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry” in the year 1981. The acronym PHD signifies Progress, Harmony and Development.
- The PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry has a membership of more than 1500 corporate entities representing a wide spectrum of industrial, servicing, and trading activities, including chemicals, engineering, textiles, food processing, automobile components, consumer goods, financial and management consultancy, etc. In addition to direct membership, the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry also serves 112 Association Members. These Association Members represent 35,000 commercial and industrial organizations. Offering varied services in tune with the requirements of its constituents, the chamber provides a common platform for meetings between representatives of trade, business and industry with the Government and lends valuable inputs for policy formulations. The PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry is also represented in several Advisory/Consultative bodies of the Central and State Governments.
- The Chamber is managed by a Managing Committee comprising of senior industrialists of the region. It operates through Expert Committees and Task Forces consisting of nominees of member-companies, representing varied interests, who pool their knowledge and experience for the overall benefit of the business community. At present, apart from its Head Quarters in New Delhi, the Chamber has Regional offices at Chandigarh, Lucknow, Jaipur, Shimla and Bhopal.
- The Chamber’s Secretariat provides services through specialized Divisions such as Northern Regional Development, Infrastructure, Economic Affairs, International Affairs, Corporate Affairs & Taxation and Financial Services sector. The Chamber has signed Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with several foreign Chambers of Commerce/Organizations with the objective of creating an institutional framework for the exchange of information on business opportunities, for promoting trade as well as technical and economic cooperation.
- Over the years the Chamber has diversified its operations in order to improve the quality of life of the masses through various developmental activities in fields such as family welfare and family planning, social forestry, audit education, self-employment opportunities, etc. Indeed, its motto, ‘In community’s life and part of It’, reflects the Chamber’s mission of promoting development and safeguarding the interests of business, there by contributing to the economy of the country.
- Text: Material given by the proponents.