A commemorative postage stamp on Dattopant Bapurao Thengadi, founder of the Swadeshi Jagaran Manch, Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh and the Bharatiya Kisan Sangh :
Issued by India
Issued on Nov 10, 2021
Issued for : Department of Posts is honoured to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Dattopant Thengadi.
Stamp / FDC / Brochure / Cancellation Cachet : Ms. Gulistaan
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 201600
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Dattatrye Bapurao Thengadi
Born on Nov 10, 1920 at Arvi, Wardha, Maharashtra, India
Died on Oct 14, 2004 at Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Dattopant Thengadi was born on 10th November, 1920 on the day of Diwali in Arvi Nagar, Wardha district, Maharashtra. His full name was Dattatreya Bapurao Thengadi but he became famous by the name of Dattopant. His father Bapurao Dajiba Thengadi was an eminent advocate. Dattopant Thengadi had his early education in Arvi Nagar.
- In the year 1931-32, while the freedom movement was going on under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, Dattopant Thengadi was a student of class VI & VII and at this early age, he had started sharing his organizing skills. He had formed the Vanar Sena, Jhuggi Jhopdi Mandal and the Arvi Vidyarthi Sangh and participated in the movement.
- Dattopant took advanced education in Nagpur and after earning the L.L.B. degree, he decided to be a pracharak of the Rashtriya Swayam Sevak Sangh and remained engaged in social service for his lifetime. After serving as a Pracharak in Kerala from 1942 to 1944 and then in Bengal till 1948, he came back to Nagpur where he was instrumental in the establishment of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in 1949. He was the Sangathan Mantri of Bharatiya Jana Sangh of Madhya Pradesh in 1951-53 and Dakshinanchal in 1956-57. He served as the Sangathan Mantri of Madhya Pradesh INTUC Labour Union in 1950-51 which enriched his experience of the labour sector.
- Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh was founded by him on 23rd July, 1955. The aim of its establishment was to set up a labour organization that would work in the interest of the nation, industry and workers on the principle ‘of the workers, by the workers and for the workers’. The organization is considered as the largest labour organization in the country today.
- Dattopant Thengadi was an organizer and philosopher. He was a litterateur and accomplished author who wrote more than one hundred books and prologues of books. His book ‘Sanket Rekha’ and ‘Third Way’ (third option) books were discussed all over the world. He used to deliver meaningful lectures on literature, culture, history, science, politics, contemporary global activities, economic and social subjects. He had a keen grasp of Marathi, Hindi, Malayalam, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada and English languages.
- He established ‘Bharatiya Kisan Sangh’ on 4th March, 1979. He also established ‘Swadeshi Jagran Manch’, ‘Samajik Samrasta Manch’ and ‘Sarvapanth Samadar Manch’ on 22nd November, 1991, 14th April, 1983 and 14th April, 1991 respectively. He played a crucial role in the establishment of the Environment Forum and organizations such as All India Advocates Council, Sahkar Bharti, Pragya Bharti and All India Consumer Panchayat.
- He served as a Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) from 1964 to 1976. He breathed his last on 14th October, 2004 at Pune.
- Text : Based on information received from the proponent.