A commemorative postage stamp on the Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex, Simla :
Issued by India
Issued on Aug 20, 2014
Issued for : Gaiety Theatre is not just a hall. It is an institution in the true sense of the world. India Post is proud to release a Commemorative Postage Stamp on the Gaiety Theatre Complex, Shimla.
Stamp/FDC : Suresh Kumar
Cancellation : Rupesh Kumar
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.41 Million (0.1 million for the proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Gaiety Theatre of Shimla, the hub of theatrical, art and literary activities of Shimla, the Capital of Himachal Pradesh, is a remarkable piece of Victorian-theatre Architecture.
- In the second quarter of the nineteenth century, the town of Shimla (earlier, Simla) had get been settled. The houses were few and far between. Some years were still to pass before this unusual little town, high in the hills, found its place in the sun as the ‘summer capital’ of British India. From a rugged outpost, Shimla rapidly transformed itself into one of the most elegant towns. Gaiety Theatre, which opened in 1887, was an important part of the Town Hall. It was a marvel of architecture with perfect acoustics and theatre facilities. A hub of the performing arts, Gaiety Theatre saw legendary artists perform on its historical stage. The first play, a comedy-farce to be staged at the Gaiety was somehow appropriately named, ‘Time Will Tell’. Hundreds of plays, musicals, theatre and music performances over time, and the Gaiety, have told a story that has spanned events both big and small; events with theatrical and historical.
- The Gaiety has been compared to other reception halls. It had been called a miniature version of London’s Royal Albert Hall. It has been likened to halls in Vienna. Its diverse elements have been compared with some of best period halls in the world. For all that, the Gaiety Theatre is unique. Inspiration may have come from elsewhere, but today, this has the distinction of being what may be the only authentic Victorian hall and stage in Asia.
- Gaiety Theatre continues to showcase the various facets of Indian arts, culture and theatre. Gaiety Theatre is one legacy of the British Empire that India has acknowledged and wholeheartedly appreciated.
- The Gaiety Theatre – or the Gaiety Theatre Complex as it is now called – has been painstaking restored and sensitively rebuilt. The restoration of this Complex was started in the year 2003. Wherever fresh construction has been done, this has been done in keeping with the essential character of the building largely using traditional materials.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.