A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) Varanasi (1919-2019) :
Issued by India
Issued on Feb 19, 2019
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) on its centenary.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Sh. Suresh Kumar
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 502380
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) owes its existence to Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, Bharat Ratna – the illustrious founder of the first residential university of modern India, the Banaras Hindu University. Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya could foresee the important role of technical education in fueling independent India to take on the global challenges.
- Emanating from the panoptic vision and indefatigable endeavours of the Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, the institute has been an embodiment of knowledge, skills and values since its inception as the Benaras Engineering College (BENCO) in 1919 and subsequent accompaniment by the College of Mining and Metallurgy (MINMET) in 1923, the College of Technology (TECHNO) in 1932 and the Pharmaceutical Engineering and Technology in 1932.
- These three erstwhile colleges were merged to form the Institute of Technology (IT-BHU) in 1968 to provide an integrated educational base in engineering. The IT-BHU has been admitting students through the JEE conducted by the IITs since 1972 and has been consistently ranked amongst the top few engineering institutions of the country. IT-BHU became IIT (BHU) with effect from June 29, 2012 by an Act of Parliament.
- At present, the Institute comprises 14 Departments and 3 interdisciplinary Schools. Central facilities of the Institute include Institute Library, Main Workshop, Central Instrumentation Facility, Centre for Computing and Information Services (CCIS), Centre for Energy Resource and Development (CERD) and Industrial Consultancy & Testing Services.
- The Institute has maintained enviably high academic standards since its inception. Being true to its transformative texture, the institute has paved the pathways of learning for an inclusive world over the past hundred years. It has turned out luminary engineers, academics and administrators who served the nation with great distinction. The faculty and researchers of the Institute have been passionately involved in almost all frontiers of research and have been contributing their best to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge.
- The Centenary Celebrations:
- The Institute is walking into the annals of history by completing hundred years of its glorious existence in the year 2019. The centenary serves as an occasion to assess its strengths in the light of current national challenges and its future role as a premier technology institute of the country. The centenary celebrations of the institute are taking place with a framework of new undertakings for the future. With this idea, a few projects have been launched during this centenary celebration period. These projects are Shatabdi Kosh, Shatabdi Goshthi Sankul, Shatabdi Granthagaar, Shatabdi Sanskritik Sankul, Shatabdi Information Technology Services Centre. Five Company Chairs have been instituted to provide state-of-the-art teaching and research environment in the Institute. Another institute initiative taken up is the establishment of seven research centers that have been recognized by the Institute as plausible areas of research and education.
- During this centenary celebration period, the Institute has also taken up a major initiative to create a Research Park in the Institute Campus. The Departments/Schools and Central Units of the Institute are also taking up several centenary initiatives at their ends. They would be organizing Departmental centenary lectures, brainstorming sessions, seminars, symposia, workshop and conferences in their respective areas. An exhibition of the centenary initiatives of the Institute, Departments/Schools and Central Units is planned during the main function.
- Text : Based on the information received from the proponent.