Hindu College, Delhi
A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the Hindu College, one of the oldest colleges in Delhi :
Issued by India
Issued on Feb 17, 1999
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to issue a commemorative stamp on the centenary of this august institution.
Stamp : I.S.P. Nashik
FDC & Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Single Colour
Denomination : 300 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 x 2.90 Cms.
Printing size : 3.55 x 2.54 Cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Imported unwatermarked Adhesive Gravure Coated Stamp Paper in Sheets 50.8 x 53.5 cms.
Stamps Printed : 0.7 Million
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printers : India Security Press, Nashik
- In Delhi, till about the end of nineteenth century, higher education was the privilege of the elite. Some prominent citizens of Delhi decided to establish a college for the less privileged, and thus, Hindu College was founded in 1899 by late Rai Bahadur Dharam Sudhakar, Shri Krishan Dass Ji Gurwale. Founded in 1899, the opening ceremony of ‘Hindu College’ was performed by Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya.
- The College had a humble beginning. It was first housed in a small building in Kinari Bazar, Chandni Chowk. In 1902, the College shifted to its own building at Kashmere Gate which was donated by Rai Bahadur Lala Sultan Singh. The College moved to its present campus in 1953.
- Hindu College was a centre for intellectual debate during India‘s Freedom Struggle, especially during the Quit India Movement. In fact, the College remain closed for several months in 1942, responding to Gandhiji‘s call to students and teachers to join the Movement. During this period some teachers and students of the College, even went to prison. Its amphitheater at Kashmere Gate provided stage for scintillating speeches by famous leaders like Lokmanya Tilak, Annie Besant, Mahatma Gandhi, Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya, Sarojini Naidu, Mohamed Ali Jinnah, Motilal Nehru, Jawahar Lal Nehru and others on many occasions.
- The College has seen tremendous growth over the years. Today it is one of the most distinguished post-graduate co-educational institutions of the country. The College has produced generations of alumni who have distinguished themselves in various spheres of national life, particularly, education, politics, administration and technology.
- Text : Based on material supplied by Sponsors.