India on International Olympic Committee
A commemorative postage stamp on 86th Session of International Olympic Committee (IOC), responsible authority for organising modern Summer and Winter Olympic Games :
Issued on Mar 25, 1983
Issued for : The P & T Department is happy to commemorate this occasion by issuing a special postage stamp.
Description of Designs : The stamp and the First Day Cover have been designed by Badar Makhmoor. The stamp shows Acropolis of Athens. The First Day Cover shows the emblems of the IOA and the IOC. Cancellation has been designed by Charanjit Lal.
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 100 Paise
Overall size : 3.91 X 2.90 cms.
Printing size : 3.55 X 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Paper : Unwatermarked adhesive stamp paper
Number printed : 20,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing process : Offset Process
Printed at : India Security Press
- The first Olympic Games were held in 1896. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is the supreme body for Olympic Sports and Games. All Olympic Games are hosted under the auspices of the IOC. The various International Sports Federations (ISF) and the National Olympic Committees, which are affiliated to the IOC, help in the holding of the Games. At present, 28 International Federations and 151 National Olympic Committees are affiliated to the IOC. The Indian Olympic Association, which is the National Olympic Committee of India, is a very old member of the IOC.
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) was founded in 1927. At present, 21 National Sports Federations and 21 State Olympic Associations are affiliated to the IOA which is responsible for participation of Indian contingents in Olympic, Commonwealth, Asian and other International Sports fixtures.
- The 86th Session of International Olympic Committee is being held in New Delhi from 21st to 28th March 1983. This is the first time that a Session of the IOC is being held in India. Many important decisions, including that on Eligibility Code for participants in Olympic Games, with far-reaching effects, are likely to be taken during the course of the Session in New Delhi. The main Session will be held from 25th to 28th March 1983, but the IOC has also held meetings of the Executive Board on 23rd and 24th March 1983. In addition, a large number of commissions’ meetings of the IOC will also take place.
- .About 80 out of the 84 members have consented to take part in the meeting which will also elect one Vice President and one member of the International Olympic Committee Executive Board.
- The occasion will provide an opportunity to the IOA to show to the IOC members, the infrastructure of international standard which was created for the IX Asian Games 1982. It is hoped that with minor additions and improvements in the existing infrastructure, it will be possible for India to host the 1992 Olympic Games for which Indian Olympic Association have already made a request to IOC. However, a decision on the allotment of 1992 Olympic Games is likely to be taken in 1985 and till then the IOA will continue its efforts in improving existing facilities to convince the world body about India‘s capability to hold the Olympic Games.
- The above text is based on the material supplied by the Indian Olympic Association.