44th FIDE Chess Olympiad Chennai 2022
A commemorative postage stamp on the 44th Chess Olympiad, organised by World Chess Federation (FIDE) in Chennai, India :
Issued by India
Issued on Jul 20, 2022
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on 44th FIDE Chess Olympiad.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet : Shri Brahm Prakash
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 302600
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Chess one of the most ancient, intellectual and cognitive games, is a combination of a sport, scientific thinking and an element of the art. Chess the game, which according to Voltaire, ‘reflects most honour on human wit‘ originated in ancient India. A number of similarities exist between modern chess and Indian game called Chaturanga, which dates back to the 5th Century AD. Its original name in Sanskrit was Chaturangal, means ‘four arms’ or ‘four members’. It was also the Indian word for Army, especially the four components of the army.
- In the 6th century Chaturanga spread from India to Persia and a little later the Arabs learned the game. Chess entered Europe around 10th century. Over the years, Chess has grown into others parts of the world. The modern era of Chess, however dates back to about the 17th century when the pieces on the board gained their present form. By the 20th century Chess, the game of honour and wit, has spread all over the world.
- After the birth of FIDE (Federation Internationale des Echecs) in1924, Chess attained the status of dynamic sport. The advantages of the internet took the game to new heights. It is the only type of game which allows real competitions to be held in virtual space. FIDE aims at assisting the best chess players to continue to achieve new peaks of excellence and to increase the pool of talent from which new champions would emerge.
- FIDE was formed on 20.7.1924, the closing day of the first unofficial Chess Olympiad at Paris. This day (20th July), is also recognised as the “International Day of Chess”.
- Constituted as a non-governmental institution, FIDE was recognized by the International Olympic Committee as a Global Sporting Organization in 1999. In 200 countries, under the banner of FIDE, more than 10 million players are registered, who take part in over 5000 different tournaments every year.
- FIDE organised the first official Chess Olympiad in 1927 which took place in London. There were 15 participating nations in the 1st Chess Olympiad. Another unofficial Chess Olympiad was held in Budapest, Hungary in 1926, while the second official Chess Olympiad was held in Netherlands in 1928. The world Chess Federation (FIDE) has since 1950, conducted the official Chess Olympiads once every two year.
- In the year 2022, World Chess Federation (FIDE) announces a new tradition of chess Olympiad Torch Relay. The First Torch relay commenced from New Delhi, India. Hon’ble Prime Minster of India, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the first ever Torch Relay of chess Olympiad on 19.6.2022. This will be regular feature in coming Olympiads and the Torch Relay will be commenced from India to reach host country of Chess Olympiads.
- 44th International Chess Olympiad is being organised at Mahabalipuram (Chennai), India from 28th July 2022 to 10th August 2022. The event sees the participation of chess players from more than 180 countries, consisting of Super Grand Masters and the world Champions and the highest rated players. The event is one of the largest gathering of chess players and is expected to infuse passion and excitement in the minds of young Indians for this amazing sport.
- Department of Posts recognises the contribution of FIDE in the promotion of Chess, a game which results in better brain function, improved memory and cognitive abilities, strategic thinking and attention improvement.
- Text : Referenced from contents provided by the proponent.