Isabella Thoburn College, Lucknow
A commemorative postage stamp on the 125 years of the Isabella Thoburn College (Professional Studies), Lucknow, earlier known as Lucknow Women’s College :
Issued on Apr 12, 2012
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to commemorate the 125 years of Isabella Thoburn College, Lucknow by issuing a Postage Stamp.
Stamp / FDC : Bharati Mirchandani
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi color
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million (0.1 Million for proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Isabella Thoburn College was founded by Miss Isabella Thoburn, an American missionary with the mission of serving the women of India with quality higher education imbued with strong value orientation.
- This initiative started with the beginning of a small school consisting of six girts, on 18th April, 1870 in Lucknow. This school first grew into an intermediate college and in 1886, it was upgraded to a full fledged degree college for women. Establishing a women’s degree college in times when social constraints and restrictive practices kept women confined to the inner recesses of the household is indicative of the vision, strong commitment and dedication of the founder.
- The guiding philosophy of Isabella Thoburn College is that education is more than passing examinations. The college tries to inculcate and imbibe the ten dominant characteristics of the personality of Isabella Thoburn, first identified by Miss Ava Hunt in the original College Initiation Service (later called Portal Service) in all its students. They are : Health, Honesty, Dependability, Scholarliness, Broadmindedness, Courtesy, Poise, Loyalty, Spirituality and Service.
- The Isabella Thoburn College is committed to be a comprehensive college with balanced attention to undergraduate, postgraduate and professional studies. The central goal of the college is to foster the life of the mind by providing sufficient resources to sustain an environment conducive to excellence in learning, teaching, creativity and thereby empower women. The college aims at meeting the requirements of the personal, professional and social spheres of life. The students are encouraged to achieve academic excellence and also make full use of their capabilities and experiences for service In the future.
- The college now has a strength of approximately 3000 students. The campus and the halls of Isabella Thoburn College have been witness to the process of the evolution of the modem Indian Woman.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.