A commemorative postage stamp on the completion of 175 years of La Martiniere, Calcutta (LMC), an independent private day school, controlled by Protestant Church of North India :
Issued on Mar 1, 2011
Issued for : India Post is happy to issue a commemorative postage stamp on La Martiniere schools.
Stamp, FDC & Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.3 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- La Martiniere School, Kolkata was established in 1836 along with two schools in Lucknow and one in Lyons at France with a generous endowment from French Major General Claude Martin. The vision of Claude Martin was to provide a holistic education to children to make them responsible and worthy citizens of the country.
- In its journey to fulfil this vision, La Martiniere is providing education to our children and facilitating their stay in the hostel, through a trust fund created for this purpose by the Founder. One of the famous students of La Martiniere was Sir Paul Charter, the Founder of modern Hong Kong. He became a generous benefactor of the schools, helping La Martiniere to consolidate and validate its philosophy.
- The education system of La Martiniere is a fusion of global education with strong local roots. Students are encouraged and motivated to learn and think internationally, while upholding their own rich cultural heritage.
- The Nature Club functioning at La Martiniere is an attempt to create environmental awareness among the students to preserve the rich resources of nature. This club is instrumental even in cleaning graffiti on the walls of the city. It has also donated money to the Kolkata Zoo for the welfare of animals.
- The Interact Club of La Martiniere, which is a students’ chapter of the Rotary Club of India, works closely with institutions such as Manovikas Kendra providing service to differently abled children, The Little Sisters of the Poor (a home for the aged) and Cini Asha for underprivileged children among others.
- La Martiniere funds and administers a training unit named SEOMP (Self Employment Oriented Multipurpose Project). This unit gives vocational training to adults who have been unable to continue with and complete their education. Such students are trained in crafts and technical work to help them find employment opportunities.
- The founder of the school was not only a visionary but had a genuine concern for those who were marginalised in society. He had created a fund which provided for the rehabilitation of convicts, to enable them to return to the mainstream of society.
- The contribution of the schools to society has won accolade and all round appreciation. Alumni of this school have excelled in sports, administration, social service, politics and journalism a standing tribute to dedicated teachers who have shaped women and men of substance. La Martiniere believes that education is the foundation for building a stable and prosperous country and continues to work towards it.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.