Scott Christian College, Nagercoil

A commemorative postage stamp on the Scott Christian College, an autonomous, co-educational, arts and science college in Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, run by Diocese of Kanyakumari of Church of South India :

Wilhelm Tobias Ringeltaube: London Missionary Society in IndiaIssued by India

Issued on Jun 28, 2018

Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Scott Christian College, Nagercoil.

Credits :
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet Smt. Alka Sharma

Type : Stamp, Mint Condition

Colour : Multi Colour

Denomination : 500 Paise

Stamps Printed : 600700

Printing Process : Wet Offset

Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad

About : 

  • The origin of Scott Christian College can be traced to a village-church founded in 1809 by Rev. William Tobias Ringeltaube, the pioneering Missionary of London Missionary Society at Mylaudy.
  • In 1818, it was upgraded as a Seminary and shifted to Nagercoil by Rev. Charles Mead. Rev. Dr. James Duthie, who took charge of the Seminary in 1860, played a remarkable role in elevating it to a College.
  • With the magnanimous contribution of 1000 Pounds from Mr. Septimus Scott and a grant from the Government of Travancore, the Seminary was elevated to a Second Grade College affiliated to the University of Madras in 1893. The historic journey of Scott Christian College commenced with 12 students and Rev. Dr. James Duthie as the first Principal. In 1924, the Library was equipped with up-to-date volumes of 4000 books.
  • Sh. G. H. Marsden, took charge as Principal in 1927 and paid special attention to increase the facilities for Science Departments. His selfless efforts helped in building the small Intermediate College that accommodated around 140 students. Women students were admitted 1927 onwards.
  • Compulsory games were introduced for men students of the College in 1927. Thereafter, the College students excelled in games and sports. Degree courses were introduced at Scott Christian College in 1950. The College was affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University in 1966 and celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in 1967. The degree classes were shifted to the present campus during 1970-1971.
  • Post-graduate courses commenced from 1971. Now there are 17 Under-graduate programmes; 12 Post-graduate programmes and 10 M. Phil courses Economics (1986), Chemistry (2006), History (2006) and Mathematics (2006).
  • In 1990 the college was affiliated to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli and celebrated the centenary in 1993.
  • Since 1990, many departments have been up-graded into recognized research departments. At present, there are 11 departments recognized as Centres for Research with 74 approved research guides who guide research scholars.
  • The most historic event in the annals of Scott Christian College was the status of autonomy conferred on it in April 2005. The NAAC Peer Team visited the campus and the college was re-accredited with ‘A’ grade.
  • This temple of higher education glows with a Green Campus that speaks volumes about the tireless efforts of the management, staff and students. This eco-friendly campus insists on a plastic free environment creating a serene atmosphere that facilitates and kindles the spirit of learning.
  • The National Institutions ranking work frame, under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India ranked Scott Christian College (Autonomous) at the 37th place among the colleges in India.
  • Text : Based on information received from proponent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *