A commemorative postage stamp on the Special Protection Group (SPG), an Union armed force to provide proximate security to present and former Prime Ministers of India and members of their immediate families in all over the world :
Issued on Mar 30, 2010
Issued for : The Department of Posts is happy to honour the Special Protection Group by issuing a special postage stamp to commemorate its silver Jubilee celebrations.
Stamp & FDC : Sankha Samantha
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million
Printing Process : Wet offset
Printer : India Security Press, Nasik
- The Special Protection Group (SPG) was created after the tragic assassination of Smt. Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, on the recommendation of the Birbal Nath Committee, with the intention of providing a highly professional, motivated and dedicated security force to protect the Prime Minister. The SPG came into being following a notification dated 30.03.1985.
- Initially entrusted with the responsibility of providing proximate security cover to the Prime Minister and family members, its charter was expanded in 1991 to include former Prime Ministers too.
- An officer-led organization, the SPG set up for itself a zero defect culture and worked relentlessly towards this ethos. From its inception, the SPG has been striving to maintain the highest professional standards and has been able to ensure and provide a totally motivated and committed security force. The security drills and procedures, training techniques, weaponry and technical equipment are constantly reviewed for upgradation to ensure that the SPG is equipped with the latest. The SPG has also been striving to act as a catalyst for improving VVIP security systems in the country and the neighbourhood. The aim is to achieve professional excellence in all fields of activity to be able to provide total protection to its Protectees.
- It is an organization where teamwork is essential and the closest possible interaction is maintained between all elements in the organization covering scheduled visits and functions and also unscheduled ones, carrying out anti sabotage checks, risking their personal safety and comfort at every step, the SPG officers work in a climate of high stress. It also demands regular, consistent and rigorous training to ensure physical fitness, accuracy and alertness.
- Since its inception, the SPG had received 26 President’s Police Medals for distinguished service and 204 Police Medals for meritorious service. Its first Director had also been honoured by the Padma Shri.
- The underlying desire of the organization is to strive for excellence and to ensure a zero error culture. The spirit is never say die and the goal never to fail. In achieving this objective, the SPG personnel are trained to offer, if necessary, the supreme sacrifice to ensure that the task assigned to the organization by the Government is fulfilled at all costs. The SPG strives to live up to its motto ‘Shauryam, Samarpanam and Surakshanam‘ i.e. valour, devotion and protection.
- Text : Based on the material provided by the proponent.