A commemorative postage stamp on 20th Anniversary of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), a statutory regulator body of telecommunications sector in India :
Issued by India
Issued on May 5, 2017
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to release a Postage Stamp to commemorate 20 years of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Sh. Kamleshwar Singh
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 410000
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is a statutory body set up by under the TRAI Act 1997, for regulating Telecommunication sector. The Act came into force on 25th January 1997 and was published vide gazette notification dated 28th March 1997. Subsequently, the Central Government through a notification dated 9th January 2004 entrusted the function of regulating Broadcasting and Cable Services also to the Authority.
- Under the TRAI Act, 1997, the Authority is inter-alia mandated to make recommendations, either suo motu or on a request from the licensor, on (i) need and timing for introduction of new service provider; (ii) terms and conditions of license to a service provider; (iii) revocation of license for non-compliance of terms and conditions of license (iv) measures to facilitate competition and promote efficiency in the operation of telecommunication services so as to facilitate growth in such services (v) technological improvements in the services provided by the service providers (vi) type of equipment to be used by the service providers after inspection of equipment used in the network (vii) measures for the development of telecommunication technology and any other matter relatable to telecommunication industry in general and (viii) efficient management of available spectrum.
- TRAI is also mandated to (i) ensure compliance of terms and conditions of license (ii) fix the terms and conditions of inter-connectivity between the service providers (iii) ensure technical compatibility and effective interconnection between different service providers (iv) regulate arrangement among service providers of sharing their revenue derived from providing telecommunication services, (v) lay down the standards of quality of service to be provided by the service providers and ensure the quality of service and conduct the periodical survey of such service provided by the service providers so as to protect interest of the consumers of telecommunication services (vi) lay down and ensure the time period for providing local and long distance circuits of telecommunication between different service providers (vii) maintain register of interconnect agreements and of all such other matters as may be provided in the regulations and keep this register open for inspection to any member of public on payment of such fee and compliance of such other requirement as may be provided in the regulations (viii) ensure effective compliance of universal service obligations and (ix) levy fees and other charges at such rates and in respect of such services as may be determined by such regulations.
- In addition, the Authority also has powers to call for information, conduct investigations and issue directions to service providers as it may consider necessary for proper functioning by service providers.
- The notification dated 9th January 2004 empowers the authority to recommend (i) the terms and conditions on which addressable systems of the Broadcasting and Cable Services shall be provided to customers (ii) the parameters regulating maximum time for advertisement in pay channels as well as other channels and (iii) to specify standard norms for periodicity of revision of rates of pay channels including interim measures.
- Authority has played a catalytic role in the development of the Telecommunication, Broadcasting and Cable Services Sector. The mission of TRAI is to ensure that the interests of consumers are protected and at the same time to nurture conditions for growth of telecommunications, broadcasting and cable services in a manner and at a pace which will enable India to play a leading role in the emerging global information society. The aim and objective of the Authority is to
- Ensure transparency in decision making by affording an opportunity to all stakeholders.
- Provide consumer with adequate choice, affordable tariffs and high quality of service.
- Promote level playing field and fair competition among service providers.
- Provide access to world class quality telecommunications, broadcasting and cable services.
- Promote efficiency in operations in all the tiers of the industry.
- Adoption of emerging technologies within the framework of a technology neutral policy and
- Ensure technical compatibility & effective interconnection between service providers.
- To achieve the objective, the Authority has made various recommendations to the government on telecom and broadcasting related issues and also has issued a large number of regulations, orders and directives during the span of 20 years.
- During this period, the Authority made Recommendations to the Government on ‘Unified Licensing’, ‘Universal Service Obligations’, ‘Digitization of Cable Television’, ‘Growth of Telecom Services in Rural India’, ‘Next Generation Networks’, ‘Infrastructure Sharing’, ‘Accelerating growth of Internet and Broadband’ and ‘Mobile Number Portability’ along with other important Recommendations. The Authority issued Regulations on ‘Interconnection Usage Charges’, ‘Mobile Number Portability’, ‘Mobile Banking’, ‘Consumer Protection’ and ‘Telecom Commercial Communication Customer Preference’ and their subsequent amendments. ‘The Telecommunication Tariff Order, 1999’ and its amendments were also made.
- These Recommendations, Regulations and Directions etc. have provided the required directions for the evolution of Indian Telecom market from a government owned monopoly to a multi operator – multi service open competitive market and growth of telecom and broadcasting services and market manifold.
- Text : Based on the material received from proponent.