Complete set of 2 nos of commemorative postage stamp on the Banaras Hindu University (BHU) :
Issued by India
Issued on Jun 28, 2017
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to release a set of two Commemorative Postage Stamps on Banaras Hindu University.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure/Cancellation Cachet : Shri Brahm Prakash
Type : Se–tenant set of 2 Stamps, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 & 1500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 3.60 Lakh
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- The Banaras Hindu University, founded by Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya Ji in 1916 is the first truly residential Indian University established on the pattern of the universities at Nalanda and Taxila. The Banaras Hindu University (BHU), is not only one of the most prestigious Central Universities in the country, but is also the largest residential University in Asia. The scheme for the establishment of Banaras Hindu University was formulated in consultation with eminent freedom fighters and nationalists like Gopal Krishna Gokhale and Surendra Nath Banerjee and had the support of prominent educationists and other representatives from all over the country.
- The confluence of oriental and theological learning with liberal arts, science and engineering, Ayurveda and modern systems of medicine and agriculture made BHU a unique Capital of Knowledge where East met West. The excellent infrastructural facilities, many of which were ahead of times for India, model campus life and the magnetic personality of Pt. Malaviyaji made BHU the most favored destination for the talented students and learned faculty from all parts of the country. Although designated as ‘The Benares Hindu University’, the National University has all along been a truly national institution open to persons of all classes, castes, creeds, and of both sexes without any discrimination whatsoever.
- The holistic model of education, conceived and enriched by its illustrious founder, Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya Ji, offers refreshing new perspectives to young minds and facilitates the accomplishment of their creative talents. Its contribution in extending the frontiers of knowledge in critical areas and also in the regeneration of the community values is well manifested throughout the world with its alumni occupying key positions in varied professional domains.
- The university has produced a galaxy of alumni in all walks of life who have been leaders in the national movement, in nation building after independence and in establishing its infrastructure through major industries such as steel, coal, minerals, energy, railways and water reservoirs/dams etc. This also includes developing institutions like the IITs, the IIMs, health education universities and agriculture universities/institutions.
- Its alumni have been Vice-President of India, Prime Ministers, Chief Justice of Supreme Court, Members of Parliament, holders of Bharat Ratna, Fellows of Royal Asiatic Society and numerous other bodies and organizations all over the country.
- The University is located on the western bank of holy river Ganga. It is spread over an area of 15 square kilometers with majestic buildings of great architectural delight. The University has 134 independent teaching departments, many of them recognized as Centres of Excellence, 2 interdisciplinary schools, 16 Faculties, one constituent college, 5 Institutes and 12 Centres of Studies with the unique distinction of having all in the same walled campus. The campus has a unique special attraction in Bharat Kala Bhawan, a treasure house of artifacts.
- The University also runs three schools and one Ranveer Sanskrit Pathshala imparting education from primary to secondary level apart from having a Kendriya Vidyalaya housed in the Campus. In addition, the Rajiv Gandhi South Campus has been established in the year 2006 in a sprawling campus of 1092.6 Hectares (2700 Acres) located about 75 kms away from the main campus, at Barkachha in Mirzapur district, Uttar Pradesh.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) is located in the campus of the Banaras Hindu University. Earlier it was also a part of the BHU corpus.
- The University has its own telecommunication setup, Press, Computer network system, Dairy, Agricultural farms, museum of arts and culture of international repute – ‘Bharat Kala Bhawan’, Swimming Pool, Guest House Complex, Hostels for boys and girls, residential quarters for faculty and staff, auditoriums including the main ‘Swatantrata Bhawan’ with nearly 2000 seats and modern facilities, Central Library having more than one million volumes, Health Centres, 1000 bedded modern Hospital, the biggest Trauma Centre & Superspeciality Hospital of the country, Indoor and Outdoor stadium, Gymnasium, the famous Lord Vishwanath Temple, Air/Naval/Infantry NCC wings, NSS & Mountaineering Centre, Public Relations and Publication Units, Employment Guidance and Information Bureau, Training and Placement Centres, Hobby Centre, Cafeteria, Banks and Post-Offices, a Telegraphy Office, Shopping Centre, Airfield and Helipad, Electric, Water & Works Departments and its own security arrangement for law and order. It is one of a handful of Indian universities with undergraduate and postgraduate education as well as research, all in one campus.
- The Banaras Hindu University has attained its Hundred Years on ‘Vasantapanchami’ 12th February, 2016. It has been a great journey for this prime institution of learning well known as ‘Capital of Knowledge’.
- Text : Based on the material received from the Proponent.