A commemorative postage stamp on the International Year of Crystallography (IYCr) :
Issued on Jan 30, 2014
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to release a Commemorative Postage Stamp on the International Year of Crystallography.
Stamp/FDC/Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multicolour
Denomination : 2000 Paisa
Number Printed : 0.41 Million
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Crystallography is the study of crystals and of the determination of the internal structure of crystals using diffraction of X-rays, neutrons and electrons. Crystallography is a subject with many applications in physics, chemistry and biology. It is ever present in modern life in drug development, nanotechnology, biotechnology and in the development of new materials.
- The year 2014 marks the centenary of the beginning of modern crystallography and its identification as the best tool for the structure determination of matter. To commemorate the outstanding achievements of crystallography and its contribution to humankind, the United Nations has designated 2014 as the International Year of Crystallography 2014 (IYCr2014).
- The International Year of Crystallography 2014 commemorates not only the centennial of X-ray diffraction but also that it is 400 years since Kepler‘s observation in 1611 of the symmetrical form of ice crystals, which began the wider study of the role of symmetry in matter. The major objectives of the IYCr2014 are to increase public awareness of the science of crystallography, to foster international collaboration between scientists worldwide and to promote education and research in crystallography and its links to other sciences.
- Department of Posts is issuing a stamp on IYCr2014 to propagate the achievements of crystallographers across the globe and underline the importance of this field to young scientists and the general public. The commemorative postage stamp depicts a diamond and the structure of curcumin, the active constituent of turmeric, as determined by X-ray crystallography. The diamond is known for its exceptional hardness and the flashes of light given off by its natural crystal structure. Curcumin is the compound responsible for the bright orange of turmeric. It is known to exhibit biological, pharmaceutical and wide-ranging pharmacological activities such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anticarcinogenic.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.