A commemorative postage stamp on the Death Anniversary of Vasantdada Patil :
Issued on Mar 1, 2012
Issued for : Department of Posts is happy to commemorate Vasantdada Patil by issuing a Postage Stamp.
Stamp / FDC : Sankha Samanta
Cancellation : Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Watermark : No
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 0.4 Million (0.1 Million for proponent)
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
Name : Vasantdada Patil
Born on Nov 13, 1917 at Padmale, Sangli, Maharashtra, India
Died on Mar 1, 1989 at Mumbai, India
- Vasantdada Patil was born on 13th November 1917 in the village Padmale near Sangli, Maharashtra. Vasantdada’s parents died in the year 1918 during the plague epidemic. He was raised by his grandmother. Due to adverse circumstances, he could not complete his education but that did not stop him from achieving outstanding success in his endeavours.
- Vasantdada joined the freedom struggle in 1942 by actively participating in the Quit India movement. After independence, he was elected to Maharashtra Assembly in 1952 from Sangli Constituency. In 1972, he was made Irrigation Minister in the Maharashtra Government. Vasantdada was elected as Chief Minister of Maharashtra four times between 1977 and 1985. He was also appointed as Governor of the State of Rajasthan from 1985 to 1987.
- Vasantdada Patil was instrumental in giving a decisive direction to the cooperative sector in Maharashtra. He took an active interest In the establishment of Shrilaxmi Mahila Sahakari Bank in Sangli. Vasantdada was committed to attain rural, agricultural and agro-industrial development in the state. Vasantdada Patil was honoured with the Padma Bhushan in 1967 for his contribution to the cooperative sector.
- Vasantdada Patil founded several medical, engineering and polytechnic institutes in Maharashtra which facilitated in enhancing educational opportunities for rural students.
- Vasantdada Patil’s deep understanding of rural life and intrinsic leadership qualities, made him a well loved leader of the masses. He breathed his last on 1st March, 1989.
- Text: Based on the material provided by the proponent.