A commemorative postage stamp on Agricultural Exposition “AGRIEXPO–77“, New Delhi :
Issued on Nov 13, 1977
Issued for : The Indian Posts and Telegraphs Department is happy to commemorate this national event by bringing out a postage stamp.
Description of Design : The stamp design depicts stylised version of grain stalk.
Designed by : Shri Benoy Sarkar
Type : Stamp, Postal Used
Colour : Green
Denomination : 25 Paise
Overall Size : 3.91 X 2.90 cms.
Printing Size : 3.55 X 2.54 cms.
Perforation : 13 x 13
Watermark : Ashoka Pillar watermarked adhesive stamp paper
Number Printed : 30,00,000
Number per issue sheet : 35
Printing Process : Photogravure
Printed at : India Security Press
- The biggest ever national agricultural exposition, known as AGRIEXPO 77 was being organised by the Trade Fair Authority of India at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi, from November 13 to December 13, 1977.
- Agriculture is the largest and most widely dispersed industry of India, generating employment opportunities for more than three-fourths of the country’s population. The agricultural sector accounts for nearly 50 per cent of the national income and sustains a substantial portion of export trade of India.
- AGRIEXPO 77 was projecting the rural sector in the totality, showing all its facets and providing glimpses into its innermost recesses also. The core complex was constituted by the displays arranged by the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation. Agricultural practices, research in agricultural sciences, fertilizer and other chemicals and improved varieties of seeds etc. were prominently featured there.
- Other participants included State Governments, Central Ministries and Departments, trade promotion bodies, firms and undertakings and four foreign countries – Afghanistan, Hungary, Japan and U.S.S.R.
- Among the major attractions of this Exposition were the Bullock Cart Square and the Rural India Complex.