Australia Sports Series – II
Complete Set of 5 nos of special postage stamp on the Sports of Australia :
Issued by Australia
Issued on Jan 17, 1990
Stamp design : Sue Passmore, Russell Bevers Design, Melbourne
Type : Stamps, Postal Used
Colour : Multi colour
Denomination : 5, 10, 20 & 65 cents and $1
- An emphasis on adventure, skill and energy characterises the Sports Series II designs.
- Kayaking and Canoeing first won enthusiasts early this century. The sport originated in Canada, adapting the canoes of North American Indians and the kayaks of Eskimos for recreational and competitive use.
- Sailboarding is one of the most recently developed water sports. Combining the principles of sailing and surfing, it can be enjoyed equally on ocean waves or the calm waters of bays and lakes.
- Tennis is a sport in which Australia has been particularly successful internationally. It has been played here since the 1870s and the first Australian championships were conducted in 1905.
- Rock–climbing began in Victoria and New South Wales during the late 1940s. Formerly just one aspect of mountaineering, the challenge of finding a path up the rock-face has made it a popular sport in its own right.
- Fun runs, altogether different in mood and pace, have attracted increasing numbers of participants as the fitness craze has gained momentum.