A commemorative postage stamp on the Centenary of the Central Water and Power Research Station (CWPRS), a major research organisation in hydraulic & allied research under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India :
Issued by India
Issued on Oct 4, 2016
Issued for : In recognition of its service to the nation for 100 years, Department of Posts is happy to release a commemorative postage stamp on “Central Water and Power Research Station”.
Stamp / FDC / Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Nenu Gupta
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 500 Paise
Stamps Printed : 410400
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Central Water and Power Research Station (CWPRS), Pune is an apex Research and Development institution in the field of hydraulics and allied research in the water and power sector. CWPRS was set up initially as a “Special Irrigation District” in 1916 by the then Bombay Presidency in recognition of the need for laboratory studies / investigations on hydraulic issues associated with irrigation, such as water logging and salt efflorescence, as well as with rivers and canals. It has continued to serve, for 100 years now, by catering to the research and development needs for evolving safe and economical planning and design of water resources structures, river engineering, hydropower generation, and coastal engineering projects fulfilling the mandate of ‘Service to the Nation through Research’. Owing to its receptivity towards incorporating new technology with the changing times, the CWPRS’s journey has continued ceaselessly over a century, earning it the stature of a world-class water and power research institution.
- Research provides basic input for initiating a new dimension to the development. In fact, civilizations have grown with the pace of how well water resources were harnessed to meet the demands of water and power, which depends on the innovations and validations backed by the research. In this context, CWPRS is synonymous with the developments in the field of water and power in the country. Almost all important irrigation, hydropower, water supply, navigation and ports projects have imprints of this institution. For last hundred years CWPRS has been providing necessary back end support to various project authorities, viz., Central/State Government Organizations, Public/Private Sector Agencies / Organizations / Undertakings, Port Trusts, Municipal Corporations, etc. Success of all these projects can largely be attributed to sincere and dedicated research carried out in CWPRS.
- CWPRS provides specialized services through physical/mathematical model studies and field/laboratory investigations in river training and flood control, hydraulic structures, ports and harbours, coastal protection, foundation engineering, construction materials, pumps and turbines, ship hydrodynamics, hydraulic design of bridges, environmental studies, earth sciences, thermal and nuclear power cooling water intakes, etc. Technical reports based on the results of the studies are submitted to the Project Authorities. A number of research papers are also published every year in various journals as also proceedings of conferences / seminars / symposia. Based on the experience gained from basic research and large number of studies, Technical Memoranda containing useful guidelines and material for designers and practicing engineers are published in the thrust areas such as ‘River Training’, ‘Sediment Disposal’, ‘Geophysical Investigations’, ‘Seismic Surveillance of River Valley Projects’, ‘Strengthening of Hydraulic Structures’ from time-to-time. Besides, CWPRS makes important contributions in reviewing/updating and preparation of Indian Standards in specific areas of water resources development. CWPRS is associated with International Standards Organizations (ISO), particularly in the field of Sediment Transport. CWPRS is also represented on several technical committees related to river morphology, inland navigation, coastal erosion and protection, flood protection, earthquake resistant design, etc. Further, training is also imparted to the students, academicians, apprentices engineers and scientists from Central and State Government Organizations.
- CWPRS has completed more than 5500 studies so far. At any given time, about 250 site-specific studies are in progress in various disciplines. The studies conducted by CWPRS are able to prove hydraulically sound and economically viable solutions to various problems associated with projects on water resources, power and water-borne transport including coastal and harbour engineering. Considering its highly competent scientific manpower and excellent infrastructure, CWPRS has been recognized as the Regional Laboratory of United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP or ESCAP) since 1971. CWPRS has offered its services to a number of projects in the neighborhood countries viz., Bangladesh, Bhutan, Afghanistan, Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore, etc., as well as countries in Middle East and Africa.
- Commensurate with the past achievements, CWPRS has a great vision to be a world-class centre of excellence in hydraulic engineering research and allied areas; which is responsive to changing global scenario, and need for sustaining and enhancing excellence in providing technological solutions for optimal and safe design of water resources structures. It continuously strives of upgrading its infrastructure and state of the art technologies to continue to serve the country through research.
- Text : Based on the material received from proponent.