Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) 2018
A commemorative postage stamp on the Diamond Jubilee (1958-2018) of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), an Indian agency responsible for military’s research and development :
Issued by India
Issued on Apr 11, 2018
Issued for : Department of Posts is pleased to issue a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Defence Research and Development Organization on its diamond jubilee.
Stamp/FDC/Brochure : Sh. Kamleshwar Singh
Cancellation Cachet : Smt. Alka Sharma
Type : Stamp, Mint Condition
Colour : Multi Colour
Denomination : 1000 Paise
Stamps Printed : 6.0 lakh
Printing Process : Wet Offset
Printer : Security Printing Press, Hyderabad
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) is country’s leading defence R&D organization involved in design and development of indigenous defence systems for the Indian Armed Forces. The organization has contributed immensely in making India a self-sufficient and self-reliant country in defence equipment. DRDO’s product profile includes a varied range of defence platforms, system and weapon systems. DRDO has seven technology clusters viz. Aeronautical Systems, Armament and Combat Engineering Systems, Electronics and Communication Systems, Life Sciences, Micro Electronic Devices and Computational Systems, Missiles and Strategic Systems and Naval Systems and Materials. Together, these clusters which consist of 52 research labs, have produced Aeronautical System, Missiles, Fight Aircraft, Combat Vehicles, Tanks, Radars, Armaments, Under Water Sonars, Electronic Warfare, Computational Systems, Life Science & Engineering Systems, Surveillance and Recce Systems, Naval and Airborne Weapon Systems etc. DRDO also has three certification agencies for the certifications of military airworthiness of products, fire and explosives, and grading of information security products, which also serves other organisations of the Government of India. Besides, DRDO has an Institute of Technology Management, Recruitment and Assessment Centres for tapping of talent at grass root level.
- With an eye to encourage the growth of the domestic industry, DRDO has established an eco-system for design, development and manufacturing. Over 1000 small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) are working very closely with DRDO labs. DRDO labs have a close R&D partnership with academia in pursuit of research. Several Centres of Excellence in premier academic institutions of the country have been set up for pursuing R&D in critical defence technology. The prominent ones are IIT Mumbai, IIT Chennai, IIT Delhi and Jadhavpur University Kolkata. DRDO is the recipient of the prestigious National Intellectual Property Award 2015 in the category “Top R&D Organizations for Patents”.
- In the past three years the Government’s exceptional push has enhanced and nurtured the technical path traversed by DRDO to reach the present stage of confidence, technical maturity, and deliverability. Weapon systems, platforms and dual use equipment developed by DRDO which can be valued to the tune of Rs. 1.6 lakh cr. are being inducted in our Armed Forces, Para-Military Forces and are transferred for civilian use.
- DRDO is progressively working towards strengthening the country’s armed forces and consolidating its international stature. With increased acceptability, credibility and visibility, the export potential of DRDO developed system has also increased. A good number of countries have shown interest in acquiring DRDO developed products.
- This year will go down as a milestone in DRDO journey as it celebrates its diamond jubilee. These sixty years of DRDO are marked with laborious and unparalleled research endeavours in the field of high-end defence technologies and production of various tactical and strategic weapons and platforms.
- Text : Based on the information received from proponent.